Tuesday, December 26, 2006

From Richard Flint


In light of the many comments generated by some of the photographs in Christian Hamel's book, I'm sending along another image showing German trainer Gerhard Quaiser with three elephants on globes and no track for the balls. Buckles, we'd all enjoy some comments from you (and others, too) on the frequency, difficulty, etc., of this trick and trainers who have accomplished the routine. As far as how old the trick is, Hamel's book shows Carl Knie presenting the routine in 1939 in a sawdust ring but with bars for a path spaced so wide that they are not touching the rolling globe. Any idea how far back this trick does go, including variations such as the two extended legs shown on the image I sent on Dec 24? I look forward to more commentary and photos on sitting elephants and hind leg walking tigers (I well remember first seeing Baudy's tiger on the Frank Wirth dates in the early 1960s and how impressive it was). Such commentary is absolutely fascinating!
Dick Flint
Baltimore Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Casey McCoy Cainan said...

Brian Franzen's Okha does a great leg carry on the ball. I am trying to find a picture.

Anonymous said...

(I can,t believe this, Look no chrome tubs and that one Elephants not trunked up properly) just kidding I really like every photo. What an opportunity to see such a wide spectrum,also the knowledge one can learn about(trainers)and their comments;

Anonymous said...

My vote would go to Okha, not that she is the only elephant to walk a ball, but that she was bought as a punk and trained not by an experienced elephant man, but by a Wisconsin Dairy Farmer!!!!
R.I.P Wayne

Bobby Fairchild

Anonymous said...

That is truly impressive. Must have been very difficult to train. I can't help from using an expression from the great American Candy Butchers. "There has to be kind of Gaff on the Joint".

Anonymous said...

Yes Okha does it well and Brian told me recently that it has been the same original globe and as Okha grew the globe didn't. At the time the globe finally busted but i think he got it fixed. Enough compliments can't be made about Wayne Franzen. He was a hellova guy.

Casey McCoy Cainan said...

Some circus fan somewhere must have a copy of the movie Cotton Candy and Elephant Stuffs. The video has footage of Wayne breaking the trick with two of my uncles John Hill and Curtis Cainan blocking the ball front and back. If so I would pay asking price for a copy.