Thursday, March 31, 2011

From Wade Burck


4a17944a, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

FYI----Hot Springs, Arkansas, circa 1908. "Army and Navy General Hospital." Closer to the camera on Reserve Avenue we have the Imperial Bath House.

"Thanks Wade, I was raised in Hot Springs and find this photo very interesting but a bit perplexing.
I recall the Bath Houses as being close together in a row right down town on Central Avenue which is level as a pool table.
I used to know all the names but off hand I can only recall the Imperial, the Fordyce, the Quapaw and the Superior.
The manager of one was Mr. Louis Woodcock probably a relative but I never met him.

Further up on Central was the Majestic Hotel where the Chicago gangsters came for the baths and the Arlington Race Track.
There was a long standing agreement of non violence among rival factions while they were in town.
Buckles

I had an enterprising classmate that would make book during racing season. He did OK.

3 comments:

Ole Whitey said...

At least one of the famous gangsters, Owney Madden, settled in Hot Springs.
Kitzman used to call Central Avenue "Bath House Row."
Claude Poe used to take me to a spot (I think in someone's back yard) where you could see the races for free.
I would always stop and see Jackie and Bill Wilcox too.
And there was always Blind Bill's newsstand.
Notice how old men ramble?

Buckles said...

I jumped up as high as I could to block a pass, got undercut and came down vertically on my head.
Next thing I could remember was lining up in the opposing teams huddle.
I had a stiff neck the next day and they sent me to one of the Bath Houses to soak and get a rub down.

I know exactly where Blind Bill's was. Just up the street my mother and I saw a Whale Show spotted on some trackage.

Ole Whitey said...

I think Bill's last name was Durand or maybe Durant. He told me he had once been a billposter and that's why all the old billers knew him. He served as sort of a clearing house for billing info; if you wanted to reach a biller you would let Bill know and he'd somehow get word to the guy. Or you could send a letter care of Blind Bill and sooner or later the guy would show up and get it.