Friday, May 01, 2009

Robinson Military Elephants #3


Scan11616, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

After "Tillie" was retired the act continued on for several years.

This picture brings to mind a message I received recently from Toby Styles which read in part::
"How did the custom of giving military titles to animal trainers start? I realize that it is a sign of respect richly deserved, but I was always curious about how it started (perhaps due to the military looking wardrobe that once was the fashion). I recall visiting with Bert Pettus in Calgary when he was announced as Col Bert Pettus, Bert said something to the effect " You would think after all the years I have been doing this I would at least be a General or a Field Marshall by now".


"I think you are right about the military titles coming from the attire worn by early elephant trainers. My dad once told me that one old timer he knew had one medal on his chest that stated "Dog Catcher".
He also was referred to as Colonel Woodcock, in his youth he had Communist leanings and his favorite fictional character was the "Red Colonel" featured in Saturday Evening Post. On the Floto Show they started calling him "Colonel" and and his buddy John Smith "Bolshevik Smitty"
You may be interested to know that Wally Ross named the big Vargas male elephant "Colonel" after my dad. It later became "Colonel Joe".
The only legitimate "Colonel" I know is John Herriott who is a certified Kentucky Colonel. Unfortunately I never made it above SP4!"


Buckles

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Military-styled titles go back further, Col. Wm. F. Cody, who inspired Sanger to become a self-styled "Lord," Col. Francis Ferari, and so on.

Anonymous said...

Buckles: You are too modest. No matter what your rank, as I recall not one North Korean soldier managed to invade North America.

Roger Smith said...

BUCKLES: Kim Baer was on Vargas with Wally in '73. She asks if you can list the other elephants in that herd along with Colonel Joe. She remembers one as Shirley, but not all the others. Thanks.

Buckles said...

The show was still called Miller & Johnson in '73.
Cliff owned 5 elephants by this time "Minnie", "Colonel", "Shirley", "Virginia" and "Judy".
Independently hired was the Oscar Cristiani act "Carie", "Babe", "Shirley" and "Emma".
As well as three leased from D.R. Miller "Marie", "Shirley" and "Lydia" presented by Bobby and Rosa Gibbs. For a total of 12.
By coincidence there was a "Shirley" in each act. The one Kim remembers might be the one in Wally's act.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the time that Bubba Voss asked Roy Zinzer (Col.) if he was a full Col. or a Lft. Col. Roy answered that he was a full Col. Then Roy asked Bubba why he asked and Bubba said he wanted to know if Roy out ranked him. Roy the asked what rank Bubba had and he said "private first class". What a great amount of fun we had years ago!
Bob Kitto

Bob Cline said...

Jungle Larry was honored with a Kentucky's Colonel title as well.
Bob

john herriott said...

You caused me to pause and recall a very nice person. During some time with Ringling I was an assistant to and worked with Bob Dover and over a period of time we became friends. A few years later I was with Beatty-Cole with my acts and our family and we were showing Lexington, Ky. After the matinee in the back yard a respectful looking fellow came up to me and said "your friend from Ringling, Bob Dover called and told me to make sure and say hello" I thanked him and we talked about Bob and the so many friends he made in different places along the way. He asked me to give him my home address, etc. And lo and behold sent to me in the spring was in the mail a certificate, card and general info that I was a Kentucky Col. signed by then Gov. Wedell Ford. Advising me that I could have reserve seats [if i paid for them] and also could attend the Govenors, Colonels Ball [also for a fee] But it was nice of Mr. Dover and his friend to be thoughtful and considerate of me. I was a Corporal in Korea and thats a long way from bwing a real Colonael. However I have been blessed with having some dear friends over the years that are and were real Colonels, namely Col. Frank Robie, friend for some fifty years and the late long time friend Col. Ed Smith. In respectful memory of all. I also had two friends that were 33rd degree past Grand Masters of their state Masonic bodies. Namily Roger Smith of South Dakota and Judge Robert Gollmar of Wisconsin. All very fine Gentlemen. Those and others have made my Cup Runneth Over.

john herriott said...

Once again comes an afterthought. Another friend Col. was the mentioned Col. Roy Zensor, Beatty-Cole PR boss. He did fine press, etc. for us Herriotts and got me and my High School horse a three page spread in the "GRIT" newspaper and akways enjoyed seeing him on the road. Seems like Frank MCCloskey had some pretty class guys for friends with Col. Zinsor and Richard McGarrity, A insurance executive. I knew both of them and found them to be fine fellows. Both, were I believe Vice-Pres. of the Acme Circus Corp. that would be King, Sells-Gray and Beatty-Cole. I must not forget Willy Storey A fine fellow in every way. I am proud to have been a small part of Willy's life.

Chic Silber said...

Although Roger Boyd (ringmaster

and show painter) had a Kentucky

Colonel plaque on the wall of his

trailer he didn't use the title

My favorite running gag of his

was when just before showtime he

would check the house and return

to the back door and proclaim

"they better not start anything

we've got them outnumbered"

Chic

Anonymous said...

Johnny,
Col. Roy Zinzer was from Monroe, WI (Swiss cheese capital of the USA), do you suppose that this made him a little bit better that some of the flacks that claimed to be press agents. And yes he was a real gentleman. Just as Edna Antes, also from Monroe, was a real lady.
I miss them both.
Bob Kitto

Chic Silber said...

Edna was truly a lovely lady

and perhaps THE MOST loyal and

dedicated staff member to Frank

She was also his eyes & ears

Chic