Thursday, December 18, 2008

Ringling train, 1968


Ringling train, 1968, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

While going through my folder of old correspondence from Smokey Jones, I came up with the following photos which he sent me over the years. The photos from his trip to Japan with Ringling are particularly interesting and I'm hoping that others will post more information about that tour. (Was that the "Gold" unit?)

On the back of this first photo showing the Ringling train is the notation "Colton, California 1968." Someone once told me that, when the Ringling show would first enter California from Arizona, it had to spend a day or two in Colton in "quarantine" before playing its first engagement.
Eric

3 comments:

Buckles said...

I made that jump in 1978 and again in 1994 and don't recall any delays.
In Illinois all you had to do was bribe the Yardmaster.

Big Al said...

Buckles

Do you expect us to believe that anyone in Illinois would be involved in bribery?

I think I'll report this to the Gov.

Anonymous said...

There's a five-page article about the Gold Unit formatiopn and operation in Bandwagon magazine, Sept-Oct 1988, which can likely be purchased as a back issue. Much of the data was supplied by the late Bob MacDougall, who was intimately involved in the organization and construction of the physical plant.