Monday, March 03, 2008

Astleys by Pugin & Rowlandson (From Dick Flint)

TEXT FOR INTERIOR VIEW (Astleys by Pugin & Rowlandson)
Astley's Amphitheatre is actually a series of buildings and here we
see it in another famous print jointly drawn by the architect Pugin
and the caricaturist Rowlandson (he did the people) at its peak. Note
the stage and often the orchestra would be relocated for the great
hippodramas that Astley produced incorporating ring and
stage—time-filling specs with a story line. So, do these two images
suggest that some modern circuses are returning to elements of their
historic origins? Again, folks, just trying to have some good fun and
reminding all that history is an evolutionary process, always
changing. What was a constant in all of these early circuses,
however, was the horse and rider, something that has almost
disappeared in every circus (or cirque) today.
Dick Flint
Baltimore

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I realize this is only an artist's rendering, but those two horses and standing rider look as though they are about to wipe out into the 2nd row of refined ladies and gentlemen.

Anonymous said...

Dick,
Where is Mr. Dominick Jando? I've been waiting for him to come back and explain something's. He must be really busy. Tell him we'll wait. Would he know if this Ashley was European or American?
Wade Burck

Buckles said...

John Herriott once told me that on opening night in the Garden, during the elephant/teeter-board number, Gunther would fake a fall into the Feld family private box and sometimes even wind up in Irvin's lap.
History failed to record who styled afterward, Gunther or Irvin.

Anonymous said...

I would think that because he was the Lord of the Ring's he would have to be more creative with his sucking up. I wouldn't have expected him to grovel at the back door, in a line.
Wade Burck

Dick Flint said...

Wade,
It's AsTley with a T and he's English (you better study more before the exam!).
Dick

Anonymous said...

Dick,
Didn't know there was an exam coming. Can you give me advance warning next time?
Wade Burck

P.S. Buckles,
I am sure it was Gunther. Irvin alway's seemed more concerned with the box office, and not styling. That's my take on him.
Wade Burck

Anonymous said...

Addendum to Dick,
That was my point, thank you. I knew he was English. Sorry for the typo, will try harder next time.
Wade Burck

Anonymous said...

Wade,
I think that we will both have to go back to school to learn how to answer these very literate comments that have suddenly appeared. Wonder what is next after spelling, maybe diction?
Bob Kitto

Dick Flint said...

Wade,I thought you were used to exams. Aren't your tigers testing you all the time?
Dick

Anonymous said...

Dick,
Come on. This is Wade Burck. They know better then that. LOL

Anonymous said...

Dick I was so eager to get that last one out I forgot to sign my name, and ask you to contact me. I need some historical help. Wade Burck
wburck3@aol.com