Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Chris Zeitz 1905


SAVE0210, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

Buckles

There is a pantheon of trainers we hear about (Cheerful Gardner, et. al.) but you’ve used the appellation of great for Chris Zeitz, a trainer that I have heard little about. I know he was with Ringling in 1903-04, Robinson from 1915-21, and with Floto from 1905-09 and again in his last season on the road that I have record--1923. Between his first tenure on Floto and his start on John Robinson, I can only account for a year each on Norris & Rowe (1910), Danny Robinson (1911), and Howes (1913). Can you add to this? What sort of acts did he assemble and what were the herds like that he oversaw (difficult)? Did your father get to see him work? It would be nice to know more about some of these “other” trainers from this time period that, at least to me, are lesser known.
Dick Flint
Baltimore

"Mr. Zeitz best remembered work was with these Great Floto elephants in 1905. "Mom", "Trilby", "Floto", "Frieda" and "Snyder".
I'm sure you have seen pictures of Snyder doing a hind-leg walk the length of the front track with a lady standing on one tusk. He later duplicated this trick with "Major" while with Mugivan and Bowers." My dad's first year in the business was 1920 at age 16 and Zeitz retired just a few years later so their paths never crossed but when his named was mentioned everyone removed their hats." Buckles

Christian Zeitz
1901-04 Ringling Bros. Circus
1905 Great Floto Show
1906-09 Sells-Floto Circus
1910 Norris & Rowe Shows
1911 Dan Robinson Circus
1912-15 Howes Great London Shows
1916-22 John Robinson Circus
1923 Sells-Floto Circus

Retired to a ranch in Kissimmee, Florida where he died 1/5/53 at age 77.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

To Dick Flint. My father who was a young groom, bull hand, wannabe animal trainer from 1917 thru the 20s told me that Chris Seitz was a highly respected animal trainer in that time and we have seen photos of him with elephants, pony, etc. in unusual settings, so if Bill Woodcock and my Dad would speak of him so highly he must have been pretty good and recognized at the time. Buckles and I have conversed about him over the years. Same with Emory Styles being an excelleny animal Supt. over the years. Guess alot of guys get lost in the shuffle and alot of phonies get immortal fame. I believe Mr. Seitz was indeed legitimate.

Anonymous said...

My father told me about Peter Taylor on Jones Bros. & Wilson when I was just a youth interested in circus people and later I found everything he told me to be true.

Anonymous said...

Johnny, Just a curious question. Are there a list of guidelines, or a set of standard's, in selecting someone for "immortal fame"? Something like the NFL, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Country Music Hall of Fame, Cowboy Artist's Hall of Fame, etc., etc., might use, that I am not aware of. I wasn't aware that phonies got immortal fame. In every Hall of Fame I have been to or seen they all met the set criteria. Wade Burck

Anonymous said...

P.S. James C. Hall, And no, just because a doctor scrub's his operating tool's clean, and puts them away neatly, after a bungled operation, doesn't make him a legitimate Surgeon. Wade Burck

Anonymous said...

A delicate subject Wade, and again in the circus animal field it would go back to; legitamate trainers; presenters; and those who are equally capable of both in highly technical aspects other than the general stuff. We have known or heard about all of these types and I would be very respectful of their abilities, whatever, but those who would invent them selves to be more than they are would give me doubts, however I am not a judge and know of no guidlines in our field that would declare them to be no more or less. I am sure that among us who are willing to look at ourselves in the mirror and reflect on those we know or have a pretty ood idea of their history would generally concur. I recall Tommy Hanneford over the years had a pretty good idea on who was who and would inquire from me on my thouhts about various individuals and in fact asked me one day who was the better trainer. me or my dad Milt. What a crack, but he would then refer to others he or I were aware of that he or she "couldn't break an egg". As you know I like to reflect on those who I feel are "unsong heroes" and deserve recognition and there are alot out there. I am quite proud of the recognition I have received, but believe me I know who the great ones are and would be pleased to just be in their shadow. Plus guys like Bert Wallace, Harry Rooks, Bert Pettus, who could do it all. I believe my Dad to be in that category as well. I hope to maybe see them all in "the old showman's heaven".

Anonymous said...

What is the name of the sixth elephants in this picture?

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Douanita

kristen s. wilkins said...

I am researching when the Norris & Rowe Circus was wintering in 1909-1910, Evansville Indiana. They lost 2 elephants over the winter and are buried in the park across from my house. I was trying to find out the names of the elephants. Do you have any knowledge of this or recommendations where to look?