Thursday, August 30, 2007

From Gary Brophy #1


Linus poster, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

Hello Buckles,
My great grandfather Silas Bibby (Beebe) was with Bostocks. He left the show when they were in Melbourne Australia.
1904-1906? He had a horse with the show called Linus the long haired horse.
I think the horse came from America. I was wondering if you or your readers may have any info or photos to share here.
The photo was taken in Melbourne.
Cheers
Gary Brophy
Dir; CIRCUS SUNRISE
Australia
gary@circussunrise.com.au
www.circussunrise.com.au

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Silas Beebe and Linus were definitely with Bostock and Wombwelle's in the UK in 1904. The show that toured Australia was originally run by "Lt" Frank Taylor who was originally the lion trainer for Lord George Sanger's Circus. He left after the South African tour and returned back to the UK and was later involved in a court action in 1908 with E.H. Bostock. Bostock's son, Jack, took over the running of the show for the Far Eastern and Australian tour. The show was eventually sold up in Australia apart from a few major attractions like Linus. I do have a few other shots of him. They would plat his mane and tail before each journey and he would pull a buggy to the next town. Bostock and Wombwelle's is my "pet" subject, so I best stop now.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info Jim. I would love to see the photos you have, if you like you can email me at gary@circussunrise.com.au
Cheers
Gary Brophy