Thursday, February 01, 2007

To James


Hi Buckles, when I wrote before I wasn't sure but though the Orton Family was on Welsh Bros Circus out of Lancaster, Pa. I don't know if they are related but Miles Orton family of aerial artists was on Welsh in 1904.They also list two champion midget aerialists, Clarence and Iva Orton.Slack wire- Michael Norman Orton, Norman Ortan and his mule"Buster Brown".

"This is Norman, Gordon and Myron Orton, sons of Miles Orton. Often outsiders were trained and added to the troupe as I believe was the case of both Clarence and Iva."
Buckles
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The lady shown here sure looks like your mother as I remember her.

Anonymous said...

I've been researching this family, as my mother had an uncle, Everett Higginbotham, who married Iva Orton. There is an obituary that mentions Hiram Orton having two children with his wife Lizzie and four adopted children. I haven't found who are natural and who are adopted, but Iva and Clarence are among them. Clarence disappears from the record after 1907, so it seems likely he passed away. I haven't found who the 6th person could be yet.
That said, I am pretty sure the female in the picture is Iva Orton. Norman, Gordon, Myron, and Iva seem to be the only ones of his children to have lived into adulthood.