Friday, June 02, 2006

Sarasota Rehearsal/ Eugene "Arky" Scott


I have heard the story of the "telegram" that landed Arky the job on the Ringling Show in 1950. If true it wouldn't have been from anyone disgruntled since all the men who worked for him on the Cole Show were very loyal.
The story goes that he walked into the Sarasota Quarters unannounced the day after Hugo Schmitt had been fired and was given the job immediately.
I find this hard to beleive since there had been an influx of people ahead of him from the Cole Show after Zack Terrell sold out such as Noyelles Burkhardt and Col. Harry Thomas so the ground work would have been laid out.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love the way you get the stories straight Buckles! Rumors have a way of growing hugh. Some are really funny and others just down right stupid when you know the people involved personally. This research has been a real eye opener. I am sorry I missed meeting a lot of these folks. Hopefully I can reach some before it is too late to share stories from long ago. I did learn to talk to someone who really knew the real story and not to someone who holds a personal grude againest the others and tells a slanted story. Know your source.