Friday, April 14, 2006

Elephant folks #5


Here we see Bill Woodcock Sr. with Rudy Bros. Circus in 1958 with "Anna May", "Lydia" and "Sadie" (formerly Suzie).
These were the three on hand when I returned from the Army, "Sadie" was now getting pretty big. My dad always took great pride in having fat elephants which caused my mother, who handled the BR (bank roll) to say "Colonel, we're not running a fat stock show" and he would always reply "They work hard and don't get a salary, all they get is what they eat and drink so I will see that they get plenty of that!". A policy I always followed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A posture perfect photo by all, something you must have inhereted also. Anna Mays eye sill has the look but she is not so easly identifiable to me here, as with her ivory later on in time.

Anonymous said...

Plenty of food and plenty of exercise. What your father called fat would be considered lean by most zoo standards.
Don Bloomer

Anonymous said...

This is not the same Lydia that was on Carson and Barnes and now here in florida is it?

Buckles said...

Indeed it is. My dad named her after Obert Miller's wife Lydia Miller.

Anonymous said...

So if Lydia could talk she would have some great stories to share!

Buckles said...

Darryl,
My eMail address is: BUCKLESW@tampabay.rr.com