Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Ringling Park #1


When I first got hired I was told to be in Venice no later than Thanksgiving Day (1973) since the Park would open soon thereafter. This picture was taken three months later on the day we finally loaded out.
Lloyd Morgan was overseeing this operation and I'm sure he was glad to get us out of there. Over the previous few months Gunther had his elephants in the barn, Axel had set up his tent and we put ours wherever we could. Close to 60 elephants, that's Gary Jacobson in the background.

"I'm never known to quale in the fury of a gale and I'm never, never sick at sea!"
"What Never?"
"No never!"
"What never?"
"Well.....hardly ever."
"He's hardly ever sick at sea..........
"Then give three cheers and one cheer more for the hearty Captain of the Penafore!
Yes, give three cheers and one cheer more foooooooor the Captain of the Penafore!".

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like the Army. Hurry up and wait.

Anonymous said...

I was going to ask if you had a good time last night. You answered that one. I think I am greatful my sound is not hooked up.

Anonymous said...

Hi Buckles,

Re: the "Good Ship Ringling" aerial ballet on the 111th Edition: at some point during the tour, Marguerite Michele was seriously injured when the swivel that was braided into her hair came undone during her featured part of the number. With her out of the picture, the number might have been cut, which is why you're not familiar with the Gilbert & Sullivan music that was used for this number.

All the Best,

Eric

Buckles said...

I remember hearing of Marguerite's injury during the hair-hang but I wasn"t aware it was in the web display.We worked together at Baraboo later.
I didn't get a chance to see either unit in 1981.

Anonymous said...

If Buckles will forgive the intrusion on his space,(I have no luck at all getting into Jim's) re: men talking, on the left is Trudy's Tiger groom Mike Goreman, ( Rex called him Dr. Goreman),JC, George Carden, the gray haired gent is Rhul DeVreese, (JC's Dutch trainer) Lou Reegan, & Trudy on the right.

Anonymous said...

I knew who the trainer was, just could not get his name straight.

Anonymous said...

When I was a lad my house would burst into song around happy hour, I remember sucking vermouth off of the cherries when I was just high enough to climb the legs of the table while listening to my Grandfather, and my father sing lyric after lyric of the Pinafore. Often I sing the few lines of the Pinafore that I know while at work and it is always interesting when I run across folks who know what I’m singing.

Anonymous said...

I can just see all you men dressed as Pirots[?] and singing. OOPS there goes my chair again. Sucking vermouth off cherrys, yes. Singing opera. NO way. I am going to have to put a seat belt on this chair or quit laughing so hard.

Anonymous said...

What I remember most is the song “Little Buttercup.”

Anonymous said...

L.J. My sweet little butter cup. I named a pet Buttercup. Golden Retriever. Didn't that have something to do with dandilions?