Sunday, December 18, 2005

Bobby Gibbs

Dalilah and I just returned from buying stuff for Christmas dinner and while there the subject of roasting chestnusts arose which brought a Bobby Gibbs story to mind.
He used to make the peanut pitch with Gopher Davenport's show in which he proclaimed that these peanuts were freshly roasted and came from the Clifford Vargas plantation in Macon, Ga. and if anyone could roast your nuts Mr. Vargas was the man.
He further stated that in some bags, a ticket for a free elephant ride, was included but admonished the audience to search the bag thoroughly since on occasion the working men, while taking down the seats, would discover an empty bag with the ticket still inside and all work would cease while they were out front riding the elephant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buckles, Is anyone still working Bears? I can't remember seeing one for years. Did they ever go over that big on the shows? I worked with JCs bears for a TV show in Hull Quebec many many years ago. Of course like all the animals, I never knew how vicious Bears could be. How did I escape getting even a scratch. God looks after fools and drunks they say. I will admit to being a fool sometimes.

Buckles said...

My two good friends Jimmy Hall and Johny Welde both have terrific bear acts.