Sunday, December 18, 2005

Additions to the Blog

Shannon here again,

It's the weekend and I'm at it again! This whole thing about this Blog was dad sending his emails with pictures. As most of you know, it started slow....a dozen or so, then a couple dozen, then 75 to 100, then it got up to close to 200 people were receiving emails with picture attachements! Then BOOM the ISP's like AOL - Roadrunner - Earthlink and others in an effort to protect their customers from spam and virus started to block ANY and ALL messages with a file attached going to multiple email addresses. To many it looked like spam.

And 7 months ago this web site was born. If your curious on how well the site has done click this WEB SITE STATS. It's doing pretty well.

Now for those that miss the emails I found another solution. On the right hand bar you will see SUBSCRIBE, under that enter your email address. You will recieve a confirmation email and Bingo every day you will receive a email of the days postings.

I also addedd RSS feeds for those who are web savy. You can do some pretty cool things with RSS feeds. If you don't know what they are don't sweat it. But for those that do.... here's the link I also have the link on the sidebar as well.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there a way to just ask a question that has nothing to do with the pictures shown? Like I just ask about bear acts and forgot which title I put it under. Really NOT computer savy, but I am having a great time playing around. You are doing a great job Shannon. Buckles has a hobby in retirement that seems to keep him busy and happy. That seems to go for the rest of us old chogers also. Second childhoods.

TheShaz said...

Either I guess. At the top of the web page on the blue bar is a SEARCH field. You can enter anything and then click "SEARCH THIS BLOG" and it will find a post that matches your criteria.

Dad posts about 3 to 5 posts a day so something posted a repy to, say 3 to 4 days ago, you have to go scrolling down to find them.

On this E-mail subscription thing - I might need to tweak it in the next few days. Dad likes to post in the early morning - I don't know when it will send the emails. I just know that some of the people out there would like emails and this is one way to do it.

TheShaz said...

The E-Mail subscription service starts shortly after 1am US eastern time; the emails are usually sent within an hour. Emails are only sent if there is a post from the prior day.

Anonymous said...

Just a note of Thanks to Buckles and Shannon this BLog is like a Christmas present every day hope your families have a great Holiday

Anonymous said...

I actually get upset if Buckles has not posted when I log on very early in the morning. I do this at 5:30 am knowing it is 6:30 in Florida. Now this is being hooked when you plan your day around a screen and a person hundred of miles away. Like I will look for mail at 2 in the morning as if anyone in their right mind is going to be sending mail at that hour. Tho I do have a couple of friends that have a sleep problem and do surprise me once in a while. I have a 5 pound, 17 year old Yorkie , Queenie who has her days and nights backwards. Her time is so short now I cater to her every whim. I can catch up on sleep later. Then cry my eyes out when she has gone and miss her like crazy. Like the circus.

Anonymous said...

The numbers are very impressive Shannon. I have one question though, what is a "unique visitor"?

TheShaz said...

Here's a run down on what the stat info is...
Here's the link for Buckles Blog Stats


Returning Visitors - Based purely on a cookie, if this person is returning to your website for another visit an hour or more later.

First Time Visitors - Based purely on a cookie, if this person has no cookie then this is considered their first time at your website.

Unique Visitor - Based purely on a cookie, this is the total of the returning visitors and first time visitors - all your visitors.

Page Load - The number of times your page has been visited.

I have a hidden stat counter - it will put a "Cookie" on your PC like most other web sites. And with that I can see how many times a person comes back to the site.

I also added a Favicon you should see a tiny elephant on the address bar to the left of
http://bucklesw.blogspot.com