Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Hamid-Morton Circus 1941/ #57 sleeper


I can remember in mid-season when "Wallace Bros." was painted over and replaced with "Hamid-Morton", a big thing in a kids world. Appearantly the show had been leased for the Hamid tour and was augmented with the Clyde Beatty unit which included not only his big lion and tiger act but his three elephants and entourage of people who always accompanied him.
This was our home on the road #57 sleeper with my mother and father pictured. Ours was the stateroom in the rear which provided little more than sleeping accomodations since we ate in the cook house and the water wagon filled the tubs at left for bathing.
Flo MacIntosh endlessly repeated a story of when I was still in diapers but could navigate those steps without a hitch. On one occasion I had soiled myself as well as the steps, Flo said she happened by and saw me standing naked in the doorway and saying to my father "Colonel, what happened to that poop?" and he replied "I cleaned it up. Why, were you saving it".
Buckles

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Living over the fifth wheel on a tractor trailer rig was a lot of fun. At least you could move around. Waiting for some strong dud to put the steps up seemed forever. To this day I will not use wire clothes hangers as all my garments rusted at the shoulders from hanging in the humidity. Shoes stored in suitcases molded. I really learned a lot of weird things about semi out door living. I am a great camper now. The out door plumbing was another story. Just the word Donilcur gives me chills. Waiting for the electric to get hooked up was another treat. God I loved every minute of the life., and would go back in a second given the chance. Knowing what I know now, it would be a breeze.

Anonymous said...

I just thought of something funny, to me ay least. a/r complain about animals living in crampted quarters. No one complained about us humans. It never hurt us one bit. Made a better person of us. I can now pack more STUFF in a small place then any person I know. Why were we so happy and healthy.? Did we not know we were abused? Egnorance(?) is bliss I guess. Give me the good old days anytime.

GaryHill said...

Buckles, how many other people shared the 57 Waggon with your family? Was it divided into third's? Love all these old photo's. When I get my son to teach me, I'll send you some pic's. I have quite a few from CW days. Best always, Gary

GaryHill said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.