Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Ben Hur Chariot Race #32


I had a special armor-like shell welded onto the underside of the upside down chariot. This shell was hinged so that a man could clamp it around his body, and, when Boyd saw this gimmick, he said, “That looks okay. Why don’t I do this one and you can get close enough to tell it’s me?” ‘I told him that it was safe enough, but that the horses were going to kick back a lot of sand. “I can take it,” Boyd grinned. So we clamped him in the clamshell and took off. We dragged him the full length of the straightaway and got some great close-ups. When we finished, he looked like a man ready to receive his trained seeing-eye dog. We took him to first-aid, they washed the sand out of his eyes, and he came back grinning and ready for work. When you have people like Heston and Boyd, it makes the job a pleasure. 

0 comments: