Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Mack MacDonald #7


I remember Thanksgiving of 1948 I caught a bus in Hot Springs and went to visit my folks who were working the Bailey Bros. elephants at the New Orleans Shrine date. 
While there Jack Leontini explained to my Dad that a boat had docked containing five young elephants they had just purchased and could he unload and fetch them to the building.
Once there, he asked where they might find a trainer and my father immediately recommended MacDonald who at the time had a wild life show.  
So a day or so later Mack showed up and once he saw them almost turned around to leave since they were in such wretched condition but a deal was made and the next year the Tom Packs elephants were considered the top act of the day, a policy that would continue throughout Mack's career.

0 comments: