Saturday, August 03, 2013

From Big Boy



I see Murray Hill died on June 19 at the age of 84... Did he train Louie? Who were the trainers of Louie, Mac Mac Donald, Murray Hill...And you, Buckles, did you train Louie? Was he brave, wild...? Do you remember something else? I see in internet Louie was sold to Stebbing Circus ...thank you very much for these beautiful pictures.


"As mentioned, I took delivery on him in 1967 and did his basic training here in Florida the following winter as seen above.
All young male elephants are brave and wild when you start out!'
Buckles


8 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe it's another silly question but where were the elephants bought, who was selling them? The elephants were brought from asia? Thank you!

Unknown said...

Maybe it's another silly question but where were the elephants bought, who was selling them? The elephants were brought from asia? Thank you!

Buckles said...

He was imported by animal dealer Morgan Berry and delivered to me while on Polack Bros. Circus in the Fall of 1967.

Unknown said...

One more question, I'm following the story of this elephant and I read that it was bought by the Stebbing Circus. You know something? Who was his trainer in this circus?

Chic Silber said...


What you really mean is who was his

"presenter" on Stebbings & I would

guess that 1 of yesterday's photos

showed it to be Tommy Donahoe who

was married to Pom Pom (Scott) who

was related to the Stebbings

Buckles said...

No, the elephants still belonged to Polack when Tommy and Pom worked the elephants.
I think Billy Stebbing's son John John presented them when they owned them.
Yes Louie was imported from Asia.

GaryHill said...

Just have to comment about Trainer and presenter....Any elephant that the Capt Trained , I could work, but could I have Trained said elephant...I doubt it!

Chic Silber said...


Thanks Gary as I tried to make that

point a few days ago

Over the years there have been many

more "presenters" of animal acts

than there were animal trainers

I'd bet that Anna May would have

made any decent person Buckles

would have introduced her to look

like a professional

All Asian elephants originally came

from Asia (or Asia Minor) unless

they were another generation born

elsewhere after importation stopped