Friday, September 28, 2012

To Harry Kingston


In answer to your question, a few days after my Dad's funeral in Dec. of 1963, D.R. called me into his office and explained the facts of life. He said that he had framed our elephant act out of friendship with my father well aware that like many of his ventures he would share little profit if any but he never regretted it because he knew it was something my Dad had wanted all his life.
He then came to the point, "If you think you are walking out here with a free elephant act you are sadly mistaken, in fact I don't even like you so a new arrangement will be made today!"
I already had a good route lined up for 1964 including the NY World's Fair so I rented the act at a flat rate and when we came into Hugo in the Fall he took "Lydia", "Sadie" and the truck and let us have "Anna May" which was all I wanted anyway.
I talked D.R. into loaning me a bull truck to move her down to the five acres of palmettos we had purchased in Florida.
So in closing I will add that 14 years later he flew down to Venice to attend our Blue Show opening and then 19 years after that, the Ring Of Fame award as seen above and remains as one of the greatest showmen I have ever known.

4 comments:

Harry Kingston said...

Buckles,
Thank you a million times over for this information.
D. R. Miller liked the circus more than any one.
His word was his bond and your Dad must have been tops to him.
I had the pleasure to know D. R. from 1970 on.
Many stories I wish were down in books to go on forever as I know he gave Wayne Frazen a tent to help him out.
His stories of days gone by were the best.
Gone but not forgotten.
Harry in Texas

jerry digney said...


DR was a piece of work--i was his ringmaster in 1972; traveled overland with him and Isla, we got along great despite stories I had heard...remember Anna May and Buckles/Barbara visiting us--Buckles warned me not to get too close!...had 35 bulls on the picket line that year...one time he had me send $5000 cash in an envelope for an elephant which arrived a week later. Good times! Buckles, DR handed you a gift when you got your hands on Anna May--worth her weight in gold as you well know;

Ole Whitey said...

Jerry: Charlie Rex said that on more than one occasion Dorey tossed him a roll of $100s big enough to choke a horse and told him to go buy a certain elephant.

I hope Buckles will tell the story about the time Dorey and Obert went to Sarasota and bought more elephants than the RBBB folks expected them to buy. And then resold two and thereby getting the others free.

Bob Swaney said...

One time, I picked him up at Dulles Airport in DC. I was wearing my C&B cap when a deplaning passenger saw me and said, "I think the guy you're waiting for is behind me. I can tell. He has that same cap on and was telling circus stories on the plane. Who is he?"

Heading back to Dulles a few days later with Barbara and Lucy Loyal, when we got to the airport, DR grinned slyly and said "Shake hands." We did and in his hand was a very generous reimbursement for gas. A good man, indeed.