Saturday, July 28, 2012

Wild Pony Swim #1 (From Chic Silber)

70707170 by bucklesw1
70707170, a photo by bucklesw1 on Flickr.

This wild pony swim is a big deal in coastal Virginia each summer

CHINCOTEAGUE VIRGINIA - As tens of thousands of spectators looked on

approximately 140 ponies made the 87th annual swim at Chincoteague in Virginia

The crossing between Assateague Island and Chincoteague Island

is under the care & supervision of the local volunteer fire department

Each year ponies are auctioned to raise money for the fire company

This year's auction will be held today with 67 foals on the auction block

Ponies that are not sold and those donated back to the fire department

will roam free another year on the national wildlife refuge on Assateague Island

4 comments:

GaryHill said...

I remember going to the movie "Misty" with my cousin. She was a horsenut and I caught the disease from her...:)

Chic Silber said...

I believe that the book & the film

"Misty Of Chincoteague" were based

on 1 of these wild ponies from 47

GaryHill said...

Yes Chic, you are as always correct Sir.:))

Chic Silber said...

Don't you take that snippy tone

with me (I think I was wrong once)

Just ask my wife