Monday, July 30, 2012

1976 Davenport FL #1 (From Buckles)

07-29-2012 04;06;39PM by bucklesw1
07-29-2012 04;06;39PM, a photo by bucklesw1 on Flickr.
There has been some chatter about African elephant runaways at Circus World while we were there.
I can honestly say that I don't recall any elephant, African or Asian actually running away, maybe it's all in the eyes of the beholder.
As Rex Williams used to say, "It doesn't qualify as a runaway until it gets completely out of sight."
On the other hand, we kept the herd on an outdoor picket line the majority of the time, as seen above and one getting loose wasn't unusual at all, as the case of "Bonnie" who one night ventilated the small trailer in the background at right.

This set of pictures was taken by Bob Tomer May 28, 1976.

11 comments:

Wade G. Burck said...

Buckles,
"It doesn't qualify as a runaway until it gets completely out of sight." Brilliant, and this should be the standard by how all runaway's are judged.

Wade Burck

Ole Whitey said...

That reminds me of "It's not a DUI if you're going less than a mile."

Chic Silber said...

Isn't Davenport just up the road

from Haines (Barnum) City

GaryHill said...

Bonnie only ran in the backyard and never went far with the Aria's bear howdah on...

Larry Louree said...

Actually the I-4/US 27 intersection was considered "Barnum City" as the home of Circus World. Headed south, you came to Davenport (there was a mobile home park there where some of the performers lived) and then further down was Haines City, about 10 miles.

GaryHill said...

I rented a home in Davenport and it was east of 27 off of HWY 17 92..

Chic Silber said...

At 1 time "Barnum City" showed up

on some tourist maps but no longer

Thanks Larry for the correction

F. Stapleton said...

Buckles, that trailer Bonnie ventilated was mine and Gary's. She decided to put "two" airholes above the bed pillows at the back of the trailer. I was inside with a broken ankle visiting with ChiChi. I stepped outside and she flaired her ears and I thought it was a good time to exit and I called the barn for Gary.

GaryHill said...

Best runaway we had at Circus World was when the Zoomarang opened...Anna May pulled a large wooden lever to "Open" the ride and when the ride started there was alot of fireworks going off. We I had a few Emu's in the petting zoo that bugged out when the fireworks went off. They jumped the fence and ran into the crowd towards the new ride..I ran after one and caught it and was carring it back with its legs reaching towards the sky..Anna May and Buckles were making tiny sets to get away , those birds caused quite a commotion.

Chic Silber said...

I happened to be around during the

testing of Zoomerang by Aero & was

1 of the tub dummies for extended

looping & looping & looping

GaryHill said...

I might of been one of the testriders too, Ole Bill Ketchem told me to make my way over there one day for a Testrun??