Monday, December 27, 2010

"Tusko" and Slim Lewis #1 (From Buckles)


Scan00000010077, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

We were chatting recently about the size of "Tusko".
Here are a few pictures of his final days.
The Barnes Show had been trying to get rid of him for some time and
in 1931 while showing in the Northwest managed to literally "Unload"
him on an unsuspecting party.
He was under the supervision of Jack O'Grady and Sleepy Gray, two
Barnes animal men, who eventually became owners.

This picture shows how he was snubbed down. You may notice that
missing is the bail ring over the top of his tusks, replaced by a bent bar.

3 comments:

Wade G. Burck said...

Buckles,
Were they able to "rig" Tusko up before he started bulling, or did someone have to do it after the fact. It was either a genius or a super paranoid person who devised this this set up. The bar across the tusks looks like it affords just enough space for Tusko to get nourishment to his mouth, but not enough space to "draw and fire" his trunk. Amazing. Thank's again for the incredible photos.
Wade Burck

Buckles said...

My dad once told me that there might be warnings, such as forgetting the routine or suddenly fighting with other elephants, something out of character.
But this was not the case for me.
I've had several males blow up without any kind of warning and strike like a snake.

Wade G. Burck said...

Buckles,
Out of "no where" has also been my experience also. Maybe we are just unlucky? I sure hope Tusko gave them at least 2 to 3 day's advance "I am getting ready to go South" paper. I had a gent, who shall remain nameless tell me one day, "I can tell at least a week in advance before X comes into musth," as he headed for the show ring. I got a frantic radio call 15 minutes later in the restaurant screaming, "get down here fast, X is freaking out and tearing up the building!!!!" I screamed back, "where is XX?"(the gent who could tell one week in advance when musth was coming. The frantic radio caller replied, "he's in the back building. Every time he tries to come into the ring X slams into the door and tries to grab him." I guess either XX wasn't listening that day, or X lied to him.
Wade Burck