Thursday, November 04, 2010

To Brandon Sterk


Scan13216, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

I showed three different venues with the Ringling Show in Chicago, United Center, Rosemont and the Amptheater (my favorite) cars spotted right behind the building.
Good show town, we of course loaded everything aboard "The Great
White Hope" to move from point to point.
I don't remember the standard move in and move out times, Erik Jaeger would be more informative but it was just about like any other show I was ever with, if you have a 200 mile overnight jump, you make it and if you have three days to make it......it takes three days.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite right in your comment Buckles, about using the time you had available for the move. I remember personally welding on the Espana's wheel on the arena floor with doors about to open on opening night, on the rodeo route. You did whatever was required to get the show ready and not blow any of the acts. When I was with the Red unit we parked the coaches in one location for the Rosemont Horizon and United Center dates, the stocks and flats loaded and moved as usual. Not being from the "college egg-head, non half hitch tying" school of Ringling managers, my favorite activity was loading and unloading the train. Most personnel either lived on the train or had their living trailers parked near the arena. As I think back on it, I was blessed with a good crew(Randy Hernandez, Rafeal Suarez, Mike Hickey, Eddie Del Moral, Rick Boger, Linda & Pete Cimini, Don Larson, Chris Cross, Chachi Valencia) and great artistes (Gunther and family, the Laribles, the Espanas and the Flying Pages).
Erik Jaeger

Chic Silber said...

Nelle Nugent a Broadway producer

& general manager the I worked for

over many years coined a phrase

that has often been quoted

Work expands to the time alloted

Anonymous said...

Chic,
I think that phrase is from a report to the British about the war effort. Or maybe from Parkinson as one of his laws, like "everyone rises to his level of incompentance".
Bob Kitto

Chic Silber said...

That last phrase is similar to

the Peter Principle