Friday, May 29, 2009

1949 Grotto Circus-17


1949 Grotto Circus-18, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

A year or so after seeing my first circus, and while the Clyde Beatty radio show was still being broadcast in Cleveland, I started working up an act. (Since Clyde Beatty was my first hero, I was probably hoping to follow in his footsteps.) Clyde, of course, appeared with the Cleveland Grotto Circus many times over the years and, although he wasn't there in 1949 as I often wondered, I did get to see him perform there in 1962.

3 comments:

Eric said...

Cleveland did produce at least one wild animal trainer of note: Pat Anthony. And I believe Pat also caught the circus bug from attending the Grotto Circus.

Frank Ferrante said...

I remember Pat Anthony from his days with the early Circus Vargas show and also from a brief appearance in Billy Rose's JUMBO with Doris Day, Jimmy Durante, Martha Raye and Stephen Boyd. He doubled for Boyd towards the end of the picture. ~frank

Chic Silber said...

Pat was a fun & friendly fellow

One thing I remember about him

very well was that you could

hear him cursing at the cats

from just about every seat