Monday, December 08, 2008

From Joey Ratliff #1


PinkyM, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

Here are a couple of promo sheets from days gone by, although not that long ago. The first is Pinky Madison and his "Minnie" and "Dolly" act. What can you tell me about Mr. Madison. All I know is he was often confused for Slivers and Bucky Steele always spoke highly of him.

"Bucky was right, they were were very nice people, June was the only Hawaiian Elephant Empress I ever knew.
I'm not aware of Pinky's prior circus background. He pretty much made a career out of replacing his brother Slivers whenever he moved on to a better job.
A case in point was that when Hugo Schmitt referred to Slivers Madison he always called him "Pinky Schlivers" totally unaware that he was talking about two people. I wasn't about to challenge him on the matter.
This was a neat little two-act owned by Bob Dietch and worked by the Madisons 1958-65 and then sold to Tony Diano in 1966.
For some reason Diano sold "Dolly" to Mexico in 1969 and replaced her with "Dolly #2" from carnival owner Lawrence Maturo.
Both "Minnie" and "Dolly #2" were included with "Tommy" in the 1986 sale to Kenneth Feld."

Buckles

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MY GOD, DIETCH'S KIDDIE ZOO...SOME-
BODY REMEMBERS DIETCH'S BESIDES DIANE AND ME. WE GREW UP ABOUT 2 MILES FROM THERE AND I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR PHOTOS FOR YEARS. I WAS TOO YOUNG TO TAKE PHOTOS BACK THEN AND SURE WISH MY DAD HAD. IT
WAS A WONDERFUL PLACE, I EVEN TOOK MY SON THERE AS A CHILD; HE JUST TURNED 40. I STILL MISS IT, LOTS OF WONDERFUL MEMORIES. THE LAND IS NOW A NURSING HOME AND INDOOR TENNIS COURTS.

THANK YOU JOEY RATLIFF; YOU MADE MY DAY!

PAUL GUTHEIL

Ryan Easley said...

Buckles,
From an Amusement Business census, Diano had 6 elephants worked by Jim O'Dell in 1969. Can you tell me more about the sixth, Suzie - where she came from, where she went?