Saturday, September 27, 2008

In reply to Dick Flint


Scan10765, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

In San Antonio was your dad also visiting circus historian Sturtevant and collector Hertzberg? Hertzberg was a supporter of the zoo, I believe. Any idea when he first met those gentlemen?
Dick Flint
Baltimore

"This four page letter to Col. Sturtevant dated Jan.1, 1941 indicates otherwise. I have selected several random paragraphs from page one that you might find interesting."
Buckles

Dear Sir:

I am the fellow who wrote you last winter re circus parade wagons, etc. I preserved your answer as I consider it a valuable piece of data.

We returned to our home here in Hot Springs following the close of Wallace Bros. Circus last October and will remain until time to open in the Spring. Have a small house and lot here free from encumbrances and one room exclusively for my circus collection which is a magnificent one, as they go, altho quite humble in comparison to those held by the late Harry Hertzberg and John P. Grace. Can only hope that fire or some other disaster doesn't wipe this out as I cannot take it on the road with me. Have Insurance of course but wouldn't replace the circusiana.

The writer will be 37 years old in May but have been with the mud colored tent, the red wagons and the ponderous pachyderms for twenty-one seasons and lately I find that most of my associates and fans I meet can only remember as far back as 1928 or less. My good wife was born and raised with a wagon show but has never shown any interest in the historical phase of the circus and sometimes mildly scolds me for "raking up the dead" as she expresses it.

My kid has three generations of circus folk behind him which he inherits from his mother. He is a great grandson of Hiram Orton, founder of the Orton Show and a great nephew of Miles Orton, the famous rider and circus owner.

3 comments:

Buckles said...

I have the same problem.
None of my associates or fans I meet know anything prior to Toby Tyler Circus in 1986.

Anonymous said...

Don't get me started.

I once went to the "Nashville Room" at the public library to ask about a photo I had been told they had on file- the picture was an aerial view of RBB set up in Centennial Park, considered by many showmen as one of the great all-time lots.

The directer of this trove of historical material responded, "Oh, you must be mistaken. There has never been a building in Centennial Park big enough for a circus!"

Anonymous said...

The dumb shit should not have been a librarian!!! Maybe we have gotten past the time these experts?
are familiar with. One more example of the closed minds of many people of the "new generation".
Bob Kitto