Saturday, July 05, 2008

Elephant Walk 1920 (From Robin Estes)


Elephant Walk 1920, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

Hi Buckles,
I am attaching a few more pictures I ran across on Shorpy.com.
Robin Estes

Elephant Walk - 1920
April 24, 1920. New York City. "Overalls Circus Parade." View full size. 5x7 glass negative, George Grantham Bain Collection. In the background: The Cort Hotel, probably at 301 West 48th Street and Eighth Avenue.

"If this location is correct, it is in the immediate vicinity of Madison Sq. Garden where the Ringling Show was appearing Mar.25 thru May 1.
One could assume that there is a connection.
I might add that Mz Estes is in possession of the Harold Ronk collection of Circus Memorabelia."
Buckles

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the photo it looks kind of cool out with everyone on the side walk in coats and heavy jackets. I have enlarged this photo and it looks like the 1st and 3rd elephants have some type of canvas leggings on their front legs??? If you look between her front legs, you can see the tie straps blowing in the wind. Does anyone know anything about these?
P.J.Holmes

Anonymous said...

Buckles,
I don't have ALL Harold Ronk's memorabilia!! I did get some (I think) prize pieces but I'm afraid I got outbid on some others :o). I was mainly interested in clown pictures and books but I ended up with some nice circus pictures too.
Thank you for all the work you do with this blog. I am pleasantly surprised every day with more circus history. Thanks!
Robin

Anonymous said...

In 1920 the show would have been in the old Garden down on Madison Square, much to the south of 48th St.

Anonymous said...

PJ,
I think that you will find that in the 20's into the 40's that most men wore heavy weight clothing because that's what was available. Summer wieght suits were 14 ounce wool. They didn't have light weight clothing. They probably didn't smell very good either.
Bob Kitto