Tuesday, April 29, 2008

More on "Dream Lover"

I just had an interesting phone conversation with Chic Silber who it turns out, designed the props for the Broadway production of "Dracula" that Barbara and I saw, including the radio that played "Dream Lover".
His latest work was Special Effects Coordinator for the show "Wicked" of which there are seven units now on tour.
Mr. Silber also reminded me that he built Charly Bauman's lighted bottle walk and mirrored balls as well as the overhead bubble machines used in the "Neptune's Circus" spec and added that they are still functional.
Buckles

1 comments:

Mike Naughton said...

Several years ago I arrive at the Meadowlands in New Jersey to visit Hashi Dubsky who was managing a major indoor show at the time. My family and I pull on the lot and I get the message to see Hashi immediately.
Seems that while unloading a big road box the theatre lighting was dropped/fallen and 50+ lamps were smashed.
Needing to get the trusses/lights into the air I was dispatched to the theatre district to meet Chic who had an account at the local wholesaler for these specialized lamps.
Since I grew up in NYC I can get all over the place without any trouble.
I couldn't take the motor home into the city so I was given a car, into NYC, hi to Chic and back in 90 minutes.
A few years ago I saw Chic at Showfolks and we talked about that hectic day; the show he was moving in was indeed WICKED. The show is the "pre-story" to the Wizard of Oz and portrays the relationship of the Good Witch and tbe Bad Witch.