Sunday, March 30, 2008

1947 Route Book (From Buckles)


Scan000011023, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

From Anonymous:
The Doll Family on the Lilliput float...most unusual for a side show attraction to be in spec, is it not?

"They appeared in spec often.
I saw the show in 1948 when the spec had a Christmas theme and Harry Doll rode a float that depicted a child's room. As he sat at a desk writing, the vocalist sang, "Dear Santa Claus, I'm writing you a letter."
I remember it as tho it were yesterday."
Buckles

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buckles...Since reading your Blog..I've come to the conclusion you I have a lot more in common than one would expect....I Too have a facination with "Midgets" & "Atomic Hair Growers"...If I was'nt in Texas now..At the Club last night..We could of exchanged notes......Jim Zajicek

Anonymous said...

The Ubangis and the Giraffe neck women also rode in spec, thus the use of posters featuring them and not mentioning the side show.
Bob Kitto

Anonymous said...

My understanding was that whatever Ringling had on a poster would be seen in the big show, if only in Spec, so there would be no beefs.Also to protect their reputation.

Anonymous said...

Johnny,
There is one poster that features the side show as a seperate entity, with the giant, midgets, etc.
Bob Kitto