Monday, January 14, 2008

Cristiani Elephants


, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

Richard...Today at reception following "Circus" mass at St Martha's here in Sarasota ran into Karen Cristinani and when I asked about her old herd of three, she told me that one still lived on her farm and was a fat and happy 72. Could that be one of the oldest elephants in America?...Paul

Paul - -

I doubt Karen's elephant is 72. The oldest so far recorded was old Gentry Babe who lived some 66 years. I have never heard of an elephant reaching 70 in captivity either here or elsewhere. The problem is that the exact date of arrival is often cloudy. An animal may go through several owners and a subsequent one may have been given bad info about the date of arrival. And sometimes a predecessor elephant has its age added to the one on hand.

Three of Karen's elephants wound up at Wild Adventures in Valdosta, GA. One of them died but I saw the other two last summer, together with an old retiree from Beatty-Cole. The have a nice comfortable compound in which to live out their years.

Let's see what Buckles says.

Richard


These elephants were imported in 1947 by Big Bob Stevens for his Bailey Bros. Circus and trained by Mac MacDonald "Christy", "Carrie", "Babe" and "Shirley".
The first two were named after Stevens' wife and sister in law, the last one "Shirley" named after his daughter.
The picture above was taken in 1949 when the Robbins Bros. title was used and my dad was in charge of them. They were sold to the Cristianis the following winter.
I'm sure they all await us in heaven but the elephant in question "Emma" (named for the matriarch of the Cristiani family) was not imported until 1955 which would place her now in her upper 50's
Buckles

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't the zoo in Taiwan have an elephant die maybe five years ago that they were claiming was 86? I remember it seemed like a stretch, since the Chinese captured it from the Japanese army in a Burmese lumber camp in 1943, so the Chinese only had solid records for 60 years -- but it was apparently a large working adult when they came by it. 70 seemed plausible.

Anonymous said...

The elephant in the Taiwan zoo was named Granpa Lin. He was a part of the Chinese military after his capture. After the war he was retired to the zoo. The zoo would have a "birthday" party for him every year on the date of his capture. When he died they were claiming he was 86.

Joey Ratliff

Anonymous said...

Recently I sent an article on a logging camp elephant that is said to be 93. She no longer works but is like a mascot now. I will send the article to Buckles when I get home tonight.

Joey Ratliff

Buckles said...

And to think, all these years I've been telling the public that they live to the age of 102........and I was right!

Anonymous said...

Buckles,
My memories cloudy. Was it Emma that had the white eyes? I think she was one of the prettiest elephants around.
Wade Burck

Buckles said...

Yes she did, in fact she was sometimes advertised as being an albino but as we know albino elephants have pink eyes but what hair they have is white.

Anonymous said...

I remember doing a search on-line when the elephant at the Taiwan Zoo died. I found that seven months before he died he was in the news as being 80 years old. Now I cannot find the article.

Don Bloomer