Saturday, December 29, 2007

Orton Bros. Circus 1920's #13


Scan000010641, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

My father was 23 when he delivered these two young elephants to the show from Hall's place in 1927. The old cow is "Jennie Lockhart".
From time to time I am asked about doing a book but this is the story,
son of a Lutheran Minister adopted to an upper middle class family, sent to a Military Academy, runs away to join the circus, becomes captivated by elephants and falls in love with a circus owners daughter.

6 comments:

Casey McCoy Cainan said...

The American Dream!!

Anonymous said...

Much better story line than most movies today! I'd sure enjoy it.
Carl

Anonymous said...

Buckles, this is your history, but I don't think anybody tells their history better than you do. The tale of your father and mother is classic, and the story of the Orton's abortive season the the rails, the hard edged business practices of Mr. Hall, and the return to the wagons that allowed the Ortons to go on when other shows might have been destroyed is the remarkable.

David said...

Our family went to Wintuk at the WaMu last night. It was entertaining, imaginative, great special effects, and top-notch performers, but I missed the animal performers of the traditional circus. Speaking of traditional circus, that obviously decribes your family, Buckles. It's fascinating to hear and see. Write the book! (but also keep up the blog)

Buckles said...

I can write an anecdote and that's about it but if I could, I would prefer to write a movie script.
That way I could drag the story out and insist that I be portrayed by Brad Pitt.
Everyone at the Club would then sit up and take notice.

Anonymous said...

Who would Barbara like to play her role?
Bob Kitto