Thursday, September 27, 2007

From Raffaele de Ritis #2


mistin, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

"Actually it was 1953, I visited the lot that season when the Ringling Show played LaCrosse, Wisconsin, we were booked at the local Fair so didn't get a chance to see the performance.

While chatting with Mickey Freeman I brought up the subject of Mister Mistin and she immediately got on the defensive explaining what a bright, talented and polite kid he was. I gathered from her attitude that most visitors had knocked him.
Like I say, I never saw him perform but I understand that he played his xylophone from a revolving stage that was mounted on a power unit from which he also made his entrance and exit. He had the handicap of appearing in an arena 200' by 300'.
Maybe he was ahead of his time. Today he might be big with something like Big Apple or Soleil."Buckles

Letter from Bill Woodcock...........8-15-53.............To Tom Parkinson

"Visited RBBB lot between shows at LaCrosse, also Arky came to the fairgrounds to look at my layout. 27 bulls with RB with four more in quarters. Louie Reed with the latter."

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would make Mister Mistin about 60-65 years. RBBB should find him, build another revolving stage (at about $90,000)and bill him as "The Senior Citizen Wonder of the World".

Between Mistin's Social Security and his paltry salary with the GSOE he should just fine providing he doesn't want to buy anything during the tour.

Anonymous said...

I believe that Mister Mistin is alive today, maybe in Scandanavia?

He was a JRN chosen feature, a sort of nightclub meets the circus. That sort of activity brought Rudy Bundy to the circus, too.

Anonymous said...

Is young Bob Good on line and listening?

He has a funny story about (1) his experience with this prodigy when he was with RBBB and (2) running into him in recent years and reminding him of the above.

Anonymous said...

From Eric:

Mister Mistin act with Ringling consisting of him playing a spirited rendition of "Poet and Peasant Overture," accompanied by Merle Evans and the band. For an encore, he played "Shine on Harvest Moon," after first asking the audience, "Will you sing with me, please?"

Raffaele De Ritis said...

What a nightmare for the audience.

Buckles said...

No great occasion for him either, he was probably the only kid on the show and since I have never seen an impromptu picture of him, he must have been closely monitored.

Anonymous said...

I saw Mr. Misin,Jr. in the old Madison Square Garden on 50th St and Eighth Avenue. Over 50 years ago. I had the impression that his stage was mounted on a jeep...and it drove from the backdoor to the center ring. I don't remember the concert piece he played. But I do remember how small he was, standing there in the spotlight in the center of the whole, vast Garden, commanding the attention of an audience of about 20,000 people. And --- I definitely remember his asking the audience (several times): "Will you sing with me, please?" If fact, whenever someone mentions Mr. Mistin, Jr., the first thing I think is his line: "Will you sing with me, please?" ---ToddP

Anonymous said...

I saw him and was definately not impressed. Saw it from the center section, front side, so there wasn't any interference from poles, etc. The act just wasn't worth the time JRN gave him in the show. His stage was built on top of a jeep.

Anonymous said...

You guys are right. When I saw him late in '53, by then he was pleading, "Come on!! Sii-iing!" It went over about as well as bouncing ball singalongs at the 2nd-run house.

john said...

Wow, I remember Mr. Mistin at the circus in Boston Garden in 1953. I was only 7 years old, and until reading this blog, being near his age, I never knew he was child, I thought he was a man, little person.

I remember my mother calling him Mistin Marvel. I do not remember his act, but I do remember he would not perform until the people clapped for him, or maybe sing with him? He seemed a little obnoxious, but I was just a kid, and so was he.