Saturday, September 22, 2007

E.W. "Bull Hook" Jackson and "Black Diamond" (From Buckles)


Scan000010209, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

Buckles, thanks for the follow up. Wouldn't it be nice to see something like this today. You mention the Barnes show and I have been meaning to ask you about Earl Jackson (AKA "Bullhook"). I have seen his name in three different books (Elephant Tramp/Rogues, Speaking of Elephants, Master Showman), but I haven't been able to come across any real info on him. Thanks.
Joey Ratliff

"This is the only picture I have of Jackson and as far as I can tell, Barnes was his only show. From the time Cheerful left in 1923 until Walter McLaine took over in 1932, there were a series of men in charge of the Barnes elephants, Red McKay, Leon Blondin, J.O. "Sippi" Nance, Jackson and Joe Metcalf.
Mr. Jackson was the boss for one season 1929, but the man in charge of "Diamond" that fateful season was Homer D. "Curly" Prickett."
Buckles

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buckles, I may be wrong, but from my eyes, this is the most impressive "rig of iron" I have ever seen, pictured or otherwise. Have you ever seen a more creative one? Thanks Wade Burck

Anonymous said...

Thank you again. Encyclopedia Buckles never fails! Our youngest son's name is Jackson (after my grandmothers maiden name) and we often refer to him as "Bullhook", to the dismay of my in-laws.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of my in-laws, they live in Minneapolis and called to tell me that the ban on circus animals failed! The vote was close but it's still a victory for the good guys.

Buckles said...

Wade- They had quite a bit of hardware on him but the pictures I have of "Tusko" and the African "Mike" look about the same.

Anonymous said...

Besides the term "martingale," which comes from the horse world [an added piece of harness attached to the bridle and to restrain head tossing], were any other terms applied to the apparatus that were employed to limit the motion of an elephant's feet/legs, head, trunk or tusks?

Anonymous said...

Buckles, Did an elephant wear this armour all the time, or just during those special times, when boy's will be boy's. Blown up you can follow each chain, and understand it's function. Diamond is playing with a "T handle" by his left shoulder. What would it's function be? I'm thinking, to pull the back strap straight, as I don't see a girth or chest strap, and even a pulling harness need's to be adjusted now and then. I chuckle when I visualize a scenario with one of the circus world's beloved animal act producers, trying to put this rig on, because the groom "who knew how to do it" blew in the middle of the night. The expression "a monkey fu----g a football", would be most appropriate. Wade Burck

Anonymous said...

Wade I agree, lol. Would not want to put this on everyday. Still need to handle this animal pretty well to get all this stuff on him.

Buckles said...

In order to move him from the train and back, a harness elephant was placed in front in case he balked and another behind attached to a drag chain, should he try to run.