Sunday, September 23, 2007

Barnum & Bailey's Greatest Show on Earth


Scan000010205, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

From Mike Naughton

A question for you...would it be possible for an elephant to hold her trunk up for that long around the track on a daily basis while holding a girl in the wreath?

This is a definately a perfect picture and it is ashame that 10 girls and 10 elephants couldn't do this in spec these days.

"Mike, I'm not aware of any show today with ten elephants or ten girls for that matter. To showcase this, the elephants would have to be spread out, requiring ten leaders.
I much prefer the above trick. Do you think Scott could round up with that many?"
Buckles

1 comments:

Mike Naughton said...

Let me re-phrase...Is it difficult for any elephant to hold that pose (trunk up) and hold the wreath and make it around the track (in the good old days)? Or is it a combination of tricks that few or many elephants can perfect?

Sidebar...I saw you at the Gibtown Circus last year and will have this image chiseled into my mind forever...as I was passing the elephant ride I looked up to see how many riders were on the elephant (an old habit, the max I've seen was 11 children)---anyway who do I spy atop the elephant was the one and only Buckles Woodcock with his grandchildren...well I stopped and pondered this thought: Here is a man who spent his entire professional career as BUCKLES WOODCOCK and gave countless rides to patrons and here he is today enjoying an elephant ride with his grandchilren.

And I stood there and watched. Profound I thought.