Monday, March 05, 2007

From Richard Reynolds


Several recent commentators asked about trained clouded leopards. The photo above shows the only one I have ever heard of performing in a circus ring. The trainer is the late Chuck Lizza who worked with Ron and Joy Holiday in their “Cat Dancers” act. Ron (Ron Guay) and Joy (Doris Gagnon) were ballet dancers who became circus animal trainers, presenting big cats uncaged in the ring. Both Lizza and Joy were tragically killed in the fall of 1998 by a big tiger. That spelled the end of Cat Dancers. [I always thought it dangerous to have a 300+ pound tiger on a leash with only Ron or Joy to keep it from tearing away, leaping out of the ring and into the audience, which was right at the ring curb in the one-ring formats where I saw them work.]

The Holidays’ clouded leopard was a very gentle animal and they used him in their presentation for several years in the 1990s.

Clouded leopards are much smaller than the other big cats and just barely make it into that category. For the most part they seem very gentle with human handlers, a far cry from the savage behavior the males often show toward the females during breeding. The males are known to kill or badly injure their mates. Hence captive reproduction has been a problem. Part of it seems to be the environment where they are introduced. In the wild they are mostly nocturnal and live in dense jungles of Southeast Asia, making field studies nearly impossible. We probably know less about the habits and behavior of clouded leopards than any of the other big cats.

As Jim Alexander noted, the San Diego zoo uses (or did use) clouded leopards in its performing animal acts. Real crowd pleasers, they were presented on stage on the leash and demonstrated their incredible leaping ability.

Other than these and the Holiday animal I have never heard of a clouded leopard in a ring.

I have uncovered a few references to them with circuses, perhaps as menagerie animals. A squib in an early 1920s Billboard stated that Al G, Barnes had recently acquired one in a shipment of Far Eastern animals.

Then in advance of the John Robinson Circus date in Ashtabula, OH on May 27, 1924, the Star Beacon ran a photo of animal trainer John “Chubby” Guilfoyle with a clouded leopard on a leash. The caption read, “Guilfoyle has been nurse and trainer to this leopard since this cub days.” I do not know whether he used the c. leopard in his act or if it was only a menagerie animal. It would certainly have been easy to bring into the ring.

Alfred Court once had a clouded leopard according to what was told me by his nephew, the late Wilson Storey. It never appeared in the ring, however. I do not know just when this was but have the impression it was while Court was in the USA from 1940 to 1945. I have never seen a reference to its traveling with RBBB.

RBBB’s descriptions of Court’s acts also mention ocelots, but , again, I have seen no evidence that these small cats ever appeared in the Court acts - -certainly they do not appear in any of the hundreds of photos I have seen of them. Moreover, the lists of Court animals in official RBBB files do not mention ocelots.

There has never been a clouded leopard on RBBB as far as I can ascertain.

Richard Reynolds

Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Bob Cline said...

I certainly agree with Mr. Reynolds about their Disposition. I had the wonderful experience of being at Delores Newman's place in Tampa several times. She had a female clouded leopard that loved to crawl in anyone's lap and just be content to lay there. If you petted her like a house cat, she was just making a unique sound that was probably the equivilant of a purring sound.
Bob

B.E.Trumble said...

I cared for a couple clouded leopards in a zoo setting and remember them as being very sweet. At the time we were moving into snow leopards in a big way and I distinctly remember wishing the snow leopards were more like the clouded cats.

Anonymous said...

Clouded leopards are arboreal AND nocturnal, so they are rarely seen, making "field" studies very difficult. We had several at Baudy's compound when my husband & I worked there the winter of 1980-1981. They are masters of camouflage. Their compound was carefully designed with big tree limbs, which is where they stayed all day. We KNEW thery were there and still couldn't see them! I do recall that they have extremely long, slender canine teeth!... However, they were breeding cats so we didn't handle them. But boy were they beautiful!

I worked with Willie Story in the ticket Wagon of the "OLD" beatty Show for 5 years! He was one of the FINEST people I ever had the pleasure to work with! I remember we were playing the Hartford, CT area one year...which was alway a pain because they had to have charged fire hoses all over the lot (have you ever tried to roll a cage-wagon OVER a CHARGED fire hose???), but with the "history" it was understandable...anyway the Hartford Fire dept. had a recording of some famous fires in Hartford, and the beginning of the Ringling fire was on that tape. It's just a few seconds of the fire breaking out at one end of the top. In the foreground is a young man running the big cats back through the tunnel in the mayhem. It was Willie Storey! He never mentioned a clouded leopard, though!

:-)

Cindy Potter

Anonymous said...

At one time, the Ron Holliday property was up for sale when I was thinking of a move to Florida. During our discussions, he told me the last details of both deaths until I felt I was there at the time. One tragedy compounded another.

I agree with the trepidations felt when the tiger was on a leash, uncaged, with the audience that close.

The same when I saw Tahar's crocs leave the ring and approach the front rows, even with their harnesses in place. Not only did the audience not like it, Tahar look very awkward trying to retrieve his act back to the ring.

Anonymous said...

An afterthought. A number of year's ago The Holiday's were working a shrine date in NJ; the shrine asked me to take photos of the potentate with Ron & Joy's huge male, Hercules. I did this expeditiously and asked Joy if Diane & I could have a quick picture of us with the big guy. All went well, although Diane was sure she was being sized up for a possible snack. The afterthought was, that while Hercules was on a heavy chain and collar and Ron had the chain secured to, I believe, a metal belt around his waist, would that have any effect on restraining a six hundred pound tiger? Nevertheless we treasure the photo and the shots I took of Chuck with that magnificent Clouded Leopard.
Treasure the memories, time is too fast afleeting.

Paul Gutheil

Anonymous said...

At least with the crocs you can always jump on head and literally hold the mouth closed with two fingers until there are more bodies to pull on the harness. Nice thing about crocs and alligators, they're defenseless against a big roll of duct tape.

Ben Trumble

Anonymous said...

Even as four month old cubs, my lions "Sarah" and "Babe" were too much to handle on leashes. Getting to the ring and working the high wire, etc. all went well. They knew when the act was over and made real mad dashes to return to their den dragging Gene all the way. It was too much and we had to stop working them because of the insurance. It never occured to us to declaw as some others did with close contact cats.

Anonymous said...

The Cat Dancers were in the Evansville Shrine Circus several years ago. I now recall they had a clouded leopard that just appeared on a leash. They also had a young, but full-sized Siberian tiger. The cat did not always respond well to commands and I wondered, what if he just blows up? Ron was not a large person. I think if you tied me to his belt with a few feet of slack (the leash)I could drag him around.

We had some clouded leopards in St. Louis and with one exception they were friendly animals. However when they mate they can be very aggressive. I think that's why San Diego Zoo started to work with them. They aren't true leopards but a different genus, Neofelis rather than Panthera, and they do have relatively long canine teeth.

Anonymous said...

Calling Ron and Joy "ballet dancers" is not doing them justice. They were Lead Male Nude Dancer & Lead Female Nude Dancer at the Moulon Rouge (the original in Paris) the skills involved started with clasical ballet and went way beyond. Those skills as much as the animals were the key to the sucess of "Cat Dancers" I taped the Canadian TV show "Circus" the same day they did and even with some producer's idea of music instead of what they spent years developing they looked good.I wish I could claim the same for my wire. The Hollidays will always be missed.
Mark Horton

Anonymous said...

I have only just got back from Circus Krone in Germany, so I haven't had a chance to comment for a few days (weeks!)I know of no trained clouded leopards in Europe at all. Bailey Fossett, of Sir Robert Fossett's Circus, had a group of small cats during the late '50s: one black panther, 2 leopards, 2 snow leopards, 2 jaguars and 2 pumas. He was a great friend of Court's and corresponded with him regularly. He was also a great friend of mine. In fact, he followed my small cat act very closely. He had two clouded leopards in the menagerie, which he intended to put into the act, but never succeeded. He trained one of them, but had big problems mixing them with the jaguars, which I can understand. He still had one in the menagerie in 1962 when I saw the show. It was a very quiet animal because I remember him showing me how big the canine teeth were. The only other one I know of is at David Tetzlaaf's Caribbean Garden Zoo in Naples, which works in the show very well. In fact, the trainer catches it from a long jump - truly excellent.

From my knowledge of Court and the numerous photos I have of him, it definitely doesn't show any clouded leopards or ocelots. I am sure they just added the name ocelot to the build up publicity in the programme for the act. The average punter wouldn't know the difference between an ocelot, leopard or jaguar. This is in the same way they listed pumas, cougars and mountain lions.

I hope this is of interest.

Anonymous said...

Mr Clubb, regarding names of animals. When I presented Wild Animal Fantasy that Eloise Berchtold trained, I had never seen or as much as touched a dog. When I read the papers it said the animals were Russian Wolf Hounds. I never questioned that. It was a darn good thing I was very young and cute as I was surly the dumbest of all animal presenters.

Anonymous said...

I remember working with Ron and Joy on the Hamid show in the early seventies. Joy gave me ballet lessons all season,she was one of the sweetest people,unless you were late for a lesson,then she would give me hell....