Monday, January 01, 2007

From Buckles



You are right, this is the Sells-Floto Circus, the elephants are: #1 "Floto" and "Snyder" in #2.
This is another photo of "Snyder" from my dad's collection, with boss elephant man Fred "Shorty" Alispaw about 1917, Mr. Alispaw's last year with the show.
The man in Mr. Edwards photos is probably Henry Boucher, taken a season or so later.

(The lady in the race car is Lucia Zora (Mrs. Alispaw) and the man at right looks like Clyde "Highpockets" Baudendistl.) Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Richard Reynolds asks - -

Buckles - -When did Snyder break off his right tusk? All the other pics I have seen of him show two tusks of equal length with balls of the ends.

Buckles said...

I'm like you, "Snyder" seemed to have a full set of ivory when he was shot in 1920. All I have to go on is my father's notations on the back of the picture.
On the other hand, ivory grows surprisingly fast. You may recall "King Tusk" had over a foot of ivory broken off one tusk shortly after Feld bought him. I think that was the main reason they placed extensions on his tusks in Spec.
However in a year or so, you could't tell the difference.