Saturday, September 02, 2006

A Happy 'CEPT ONE from Dave Price


Friends: Here it is Sept. one already. I may not be the very last of the old time circus billers (but darn near) and I want to wish all my circus friends a happy 'CEPT ONE.

Here we see a young bright-eyed biller and a fine stand of paper for the little one-ringer that Johnny Frazier, Charlie Rex and Floyd Bradbury took out in late 1959, after the Hugo Shows were back in the barn.
This was my FOURTH advance to work on that year. I opened that spring in Cooper, Texas, ahead of Famous Cole working for Francis Kitzman. When Glen Jarmes took over the show in Washington state in July and it looked like our days wer numbered, Kitzman managed to get me a spot in the Cristiani advance under Elmer Kauffman. I joined them in Denver and we went to the west coast where we played eleven days on the Pan Pacific Auditorium parking lot.
Meanwhile Kitzman had been offered the car on Jack Moore's Carson & Barnes Circus and so I left the Cristianis in Burbank to go back to work for Kitz.
We joined the C&B advance in Mountain Grove, Missouri and closed in late October in Mount Pleasant, Texas. After staying a few nights at Art Miller's apartment in Hugo, I joined this little opry in the metropolis of Gober, Texas. We closed a day or two before Thanksgiving and I got back to Nashville in time for turkey. Where does time go?
I trust all of you know the 'CEPT ONE story?

3 comments:

Bob Cline said...

No Dave, I don't. Why not tell us all?
Bob

Anonymous said...

I would love to know the 'cept 1' story.

Buckles said...

I had hoped that Dave would jump in here but the story concerns two Country Bumpkins viewing some Circus Billposters' art work on a barn proclaiming "Biggest Circus in the World" Sept. 1.
"Looks like the biggest circus in the world is comin'to town!" sez one.
"No" sez the other ('cept one).