Saturday, May 13, 2006

Post card #2


I well remember these chimps "Mickey" and "Minnie", I'm not sure who owned them but they were part of the Clyde Beatty unit and worked by Albert Fleet. When my dad worked Mr. Beatty's elephants on the winter dates my mother was constantly warning me to stay away when they were being moved to and from the ring.
Little need for that, I was terrified of the them, "Mickey" was the meanest son of a bitch I ever saw. During the act, after riding his bike he would sometimes throw it into the seats at at the audience. I once remember him picking up a section of ring curb and going after the prop crew.
The only thing they feared was the elephants and when passing in front of them they would press themselves against the opposing wall however once past, "Mickey" would grab a hand full of hay and toss it at them.
This picture taken at the Clyde Beatty Park in Ft. Lauderdale in 1942.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once upon a time, while I was on roller-skates, I was told to shake Johnny the chimp's hand while he sat on Franks lap in a rickshaw before the parade. The handshake was on of Johnny’s tricks, but Johnny also roller-skates and I don’t know but I always expected this chimp didn’t like me steeling his act. He clamped down on my hand like a vice, and Frank and Johnny had a go and so I had to do this trick again right away, and it was very interesting. The second time Johnny examined my hand and even picked at my calluses.

24-HOUR-MAN said...

In the old building in Minneapolis the band stand was over the back door at the end of the back track, I believe it was Mickey who grabbed a sledge hammer and threw it through the bass drum.

Anonymous said...

They are notroious for pummeling anyone in range with poop. The first animals I ever worked were chimps. Fun to train and lousy to present every day. As fast as they learned a trick they would start figuring ways to get out of doing it.

Anonymous said...

I've heard several stories that Mr. Beatty kept a healthy distance from these two. But also heard they worked well for Al Fleet.

Chimps also become outraged at black people and clowns. I've seen clowns scatter in all directions to hide their makeups when the chimps were coming.

On Suesz, in '75, Betty and Joachim Ronrita and I often helped clear the way for Kirby's chimps. We'd keep people back some 30 feet if we had the space, and I never thought that was enough. On tight lots this job was a nightmare.