Friday, March 24, 2006

Cristiani family


These pictures came from a Look Magazine feature and this one shows June, Belmonte, Corky, Mogador, Ortans, Oscar and Lucio.
The location was their winter quarters in Sarasota and I'm guessing about 1950. They filmed not only Lucio's somersalt from horse to horse but five brothers vaulting together to a horse from the ground and four man high on the teeter-board (no mechanics). They then removed enough frames from the film to tell the story. They used 17 frames and I picked out 5 for Lucio's somersalt.
I have my mother to thank for this and other material since she clipped out any circus related articles she saw and pasted them into albums. In one sense it was it was good because this prevented them from being scattered and lost but on the other hand she didn't paste very well and as you can see in this picture and others, it is starting to wrinkle in the upper left hand corner. But as they say, it's a window to the past.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your really getting good at this computer thing Buckles. Barbara may let you park close to the house soon. You have to be a female to really appreciate what this means. Who are the parents or grand parents of Tina? I know she is training show horses now. Or was the last I heard. In New York I think.

Anonymous said...

Wrinkle? I thought that was a tent behind them... or cataracts.