Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Ringling-Barnum 1953/ Herd on the way to the lot


Arky Scott riding Walter McLain's former horse "Harold".
Benny White riding "Topsy" in front. The seven punks are "Tex", "Padmuh", "Tara", "Yamina", "Rani", Sita" and "Rajee" all named by Louie Reed.
Immediately behind them is the young African "Emily".

These seven punks were trained the previous summer by Louie Reed and assisted by Smoney Jones in Sarasota while the show was on the road. During this process the little elephants will invariably begin to rely on their trainer for security and any immediate change can cause problems. I think that even the mighty Ken & Nicole Show has finally arrived at that conclusion.
When the show arrived in Sarasota, Arky, for some reason immediately excluded Mr. Reed and Smokey and the die was cast. By the time the picture above was taken the act "the 7 wonders" was pretty much in shambles.
As the show traveled West that season they showed LaCrosse, WI on Aug 6 and by chance we were appearing with our family elephant act in front of the grandstand at the local Fair. I never got a chance to see their performance because our show times conflicted but I did watch the herd unload and march to the lot. I hung around long enough to catch the Side Show before I left.
When I got back to the Fairgrounds I was surprised to see my dad talking with Noylles Burkhardt, Arky and his assistant Henry Demuth. I later learned that Mr. Concello had authorized them to make my dad an offer to come on the show and his only job would be to straighten out the little elephants for Arky. My dad then explained that he was part owner in our elephant act, this being made possible by D.R. Miller and the deal was etched in stone however to thank Mr. Concello for the offer.
I personally thought that a dreadful error had been made, since at 18, I thought a closer examination of those show girls might well be in order.

The picture below shows my father visiting Arky the next year in Chicago but by then Hugo Schmitt had been offered the same job and had accepted, after 4 years with the Mills Show he was back in the fold.

10 comments:

GaryHill said...

Very impressive that the punks walk side by side without neck chains?

Buckles said...

No, they are collared. In fact this was their first year on the road and still a bit flighty.

GaryHill said...

OK after clicking on the pic I can see the chain under Topsy's right ear. I can't see the chains on the punks in the photos, so I thought WOW!

Buckles said...

The show had 27 elephants that year however from this angle and being in teams, it looks like it might be 50.
The main reason for walking in teams, other than steadying the punks, was to cut in half the distance from front to back and have a better control over the situation.
When Gunther came over he walked the elephants single file but Hugo and Axel remained with teams to the very end.
When I was preparing to take the Park elephants on the Blue Show, Kenny asked how we would make the march and added that he would prefer single file like Gunther since the Animal Rights people were already beefing about "Elephants in chains for life"
So I collared one African to "Anna May" and the other to "George", the rest just tailed up.
After the conversation I thought "What in the Hell is an Animal Rights person?".

Anonymous said...

Those riding the elephants behind Benny White appear to be sitting with their legs on the elephants forehead, a practice that seems to have disappeared. When, and on what show/s or by whom, was this last regularly done? And what are the pros and cons of the practice?
Buckles, you give us all such pleasure in sharing your wonderful images and delightful commentary! Kudos, also, to the many show folks who share additional insight!

Anonymous said...

I've yet to see one road apple on this Borg.

GaryHill said...

That looks like one on the picture of Arky and Ruth two pictures down. On the other new blog "My Days are Circus Days" has one of Buckles at Baraboo crapping them out!

Buckles said...

As my dad used to say "Don't leave them out in the sun too long, they might hatch".

Anonymous said...

Only on the blog would we play find the road apples. God I love it. I have a very funny story about crapping out elephants but I have to wait until someone dies before I can tell it. He would kill me.

Ryan Easley said...

Buckles,
Can you tell us who imported this group of seven?