Saturday, August 06, 2005

Orton Bros. Circus 1916/ Babe Orton



This is my mother on the show that season at the age of 16. She often told me the story of Hero's demise. The train was spotted along side the lot that day and she happened to glance outside the coach and was terrified to see Hero's trainer in flight and the elephant in hot pursuit. He rolled under a wagon and barely made it out the other side just as it was being tipped over on top of him and tho badly injured he managed to make it to safety in one of the coaches. "Hero" was big enough that he was eye-level with the coach windows. Til this day I can remember her discribing being inside and watching his eye moving from window to window in search of his prey.
It must have been something like "Jurassic Park".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I swear your mom was on the right in this picture. How did she end up on the left of the dog here? I know I broke my glasses but I do remember her on the right of this dog.

Buckles said...

Dear Rebecca,
After I had already entered the picture I noticed that it had been flopped. No one trains a horse to lay on it's right side. I pointed this out to Shannon who clicked a few keys and returned it to it's original state. Buckles