Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Wash. DC Armory #1

06-25-2012 05;50;34PM by bucklesw1
06-25-2012 05;50;34PM, a photo by bucklesw1 on Flickr.

Someone asked recently if the Ringling Show ever did elephant rides.
In 1991 I was contacted by Tim Holst about doing the ride in an area in front of the DC Armory. Ben and "Anna May" were already on the road with Big Apple but I had "Peggy", "Toto" and "Jenny" that I would later take to Catskill Game Farm so we made a deal.
From this point on, everything is very foggy.
Along with Shannon, I somehow rounded up Billy Commerford and someone else Big Man?.
How many elephants are in this picture?
I only had three and I can't for the life of me remember where any additional would have come from.
This proves 77 years of storm and sunshine will take it's toll on brain cells.
Maybe Shannon or Billy could clear it up.

7 comments:

Wade G. Burck said...

Buckles,
I recall you used Commerford's elephant Beulah, but we'll wait for Shannon or Billy. My brain cell's aren't worth shit anymore, either.

Wade Burck

Chic Silber said...

Wow talk about a storm pal I flew

back from Nashville to Tampa on

Sunday afternoon & with the Skyway

Bridge closed I took the long way

home through a biblical rainstorm

As I passed your town the sign was

obscured (as was the highway) & I

wondered if your "Acres" were just

a massive bay of tranquility

Buckles said...

Not bad, we've seen worse.
Only thing of concern is that they had just buried the septic tank for Shannon's home under construction and piled up mountains of soil, much of which washed away.
No doubt will bring everything to a halt for a while.

Ole Whitey said...

Chic: To quote from your e-mail of April 9th:

"My wife & I will be attending a family wedding in Nashville late in June & only be there a very short time but I am hopeful to get to see Frank Curry & possibly you too."

I hope you and Frank at least lifted a glass to Ole Whitey.

Chic Silber said...

I feel terrible Dave for not giving

you a call but my 1st mistake was

choosing a full size Chevy rental

from the Emerald Aisle which was

what designated me as the family

limo driver & as you well know

with your multi beltway loops it

was a real challenge ferrying the

folks to & fro to widely distant

locations & as such I didn't get

to see or call either of you

Ryan Easley said...

Buckles,
Where did Jenny come from ?

Buckles said...

I got her from Cuneo.
MacDonald trained her back in the 70's.