Sunday, September 12, 2010

Frederic Edelstein #1 (From Henry Penndorf)


Frederic Edelstein.2A, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.


I came across this article on Frederick Edelstein, the star animal trainer with France's Circus Pinder, on the French circus website "Burgus Circus".

Computer translations are not always accurate, but to the best of my understanding, this is what the article said...

First, Frederick Edelstein was injured during a performance While he was moving a pedestal Frederick Edelstein tore a tendon in his bicep, which required surgery. He will be out four months recuperating from that surgery.

The article goes on to say that the "Barnum Circus" (I took it to mean Ringling Brothers) has been in contact with Frederick Edelstein about the possibility of bringing his cage act to! the "Barnum Circus" in 2011. Also (according to the article) that Frederick Edelstein is considering it.

The article originally appeared in the September 4, 2010 edition of Sud-Ouest. The article was written by Christian Drink.

Frederick Edelstein is a experienced trainer. The lions, they lead after his whip from the age of 14 years. This is the t! ime he spent in the train. What has happened in the open show at Lyon, is not due to any reaction of its beasts. He says. "In the cage, the lions jump from one stool to another. By taking one of these stools, I had a torn tendon that holds the distal biceps tendon tearing full of bones. "

Despite this trauma, Frederick continued the show. The public has not seen. At the end of his representation, he contacted a surgeon friend, the very man who operates the footballers OL. The verdict is final. Emergency surgery and four months of complete rest, without any effort on the arm. ! For an active man like Fred, what happens to him is appalling. "I could not do anything," he explains. I decided to leave during these four months of inactivity with my wife Sophie in the United States to visit the American circuses. "

It was during his journey he crosses the Barnum circus. The number of Frederick the enormous interest. "My current issue is unique, says Frederick. I have 16 cats together. Barnum offered me to join them in 2011 and I think I'll do it for my father whom I am very attached agrees. "

14 comments:

Chic Silber said...

That's kind of a goofy look on the

lion's face & I don't think Freddy

needs that headband

Frank Ferrante said...

You mean the "What you talkin' about, Willis?" look on his face? ~frank

Chic Silber said...

Reminds me of the blank stare I've

seen on several "white" tigers

(including some cross eyed)

Wade G. Burck said...

Chic and Frank,
You are both way off(no offense, but how would either of you know.) Spend a bit of time on my deal, where folks learn. We were just discussing this "look" last week. There are very, very few cross eyed white tigers around any more, Chic. It was an optical muscle problem that was bred out of them years ago. Not much to do with inbreeding as the uninitiated suggested, Just a defective gene that is linked to the defective white color(similar to a domestic, blue eyed white cat having partial or total loss of hearing.)
If you say this look on a cross eyed tiger Chic, white or gold, you are a much better man then me. That is why they are difficult to deal with. Their eye's can't focus, as this lions are. Trust me, look again. Real close this time. There is nothing blank about that stare.
Wade Burck

Chic Silber said...

Wade I knew if I mentioned whites

it would get your attention

Don't take it all so seriously

I HAVE seen goofy blank stares

on a few of the cherished whites

(but none of them were yours)

I truly believe that most tigers

are the most regal of animals

especialy the Bengal Siberian mix

Those & Asian elephants are the

performers I most enjoy watching

(and I still think Freddy would

do well to ditch the headband)

Wade G. Burck said...

Chic,
How do you know if it is a Bengal/Siberian "mix?" By looking at it?
Wade Burck

Chic Silber said...

Forgot to mention the chuckle

I got out of the 2 mentions of

the word "defective" which is

certainly a word that I will use

in the future (and credit Wade)

Chic Silber said...

Mostly I believe what I'm told

by people that I trust

(that includes a few showfolk)

Chic Silber said...

I meant to say by counting the

stripes on their tails

Frank Ferrante said...

Wade - Thanks for the clarification. (To be honest, I didn't even notice that the lion was cross-eyed, just that he had a comical look on his face.)

But more to your answer, what are the reasons that some say lions are more difficult to work with than tigers? ~frank, the humbled.

Chic Silber said...

I don't believe that Wade said

that the lion is cross eyed

He was just backing us both down

& also explaining "defective"

Wade G. Burck said...

Frank,
The lion is staring intently at the photographer. It is not a blank stare or a cross eyed look. When they stare that intently, they are hoping you will step a little closer so they don't have to get off the ball to hand you your lunch.
When they say lions are tougher then tigers they are hanging BS paper Frank. Both species, tigers and lions have their great points, good points, and bad points. It normally depends on your situation on whether one is tougher then the other.
Chic, glad you liked "defective." I knew it would make sense to you. Now you need to relax, as it should be fun to learn, instead of it being stressful.
Wade Burck

Chic Silber said...

I remember stress Wade

but that goes back many years

If I were any more relaxed

I would doze off (& I do)

Frank Ferrante said...

Learning can be fun! ~frank