Tuesday, November 18, 2008

"Kenya" #1


Scan10967, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

While going thru the Polack pictures yesterday (and encouraged by Karen Glenn's flattery) I decided to show a few more pictures on that subject, particularly the African "Kenya".
Despite having worked for my dad, Fred Logan and Hugo Schmitt, these three were the first elephants I trained on my own.
"Kenya", "Stella" and "Louie" the last of which, I am told, is still performing in So. America.
The first was "Stella" in 1965, "Kenya" in 1966 and "Louie" in 1967.
At the time "Kenya" arrived she was the only African elephant with a circus in this country, arriving between the departure of "Diamond" and "Koa" and several years prior to the arrival of "Kongo".
Not knowing what to expect, she exceeded by wildest expectations and was a pleasure to be around.
I was naive enough to think that all Africans would be like her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello sir, a friend of mine gave me an original picture of kenya the elepant, he said he used to trainn elephant at polack bros. circus, his name is william "bill" rowlett, do you remember him?-

Unknown said...

Hi, my name is Julie and Billy Rowlett is my dad. If you send me your info I can forward it to him.

Julie
jcmensching@gmail.com

Buckles said...

bucklesw@tampabay.rr.com