Thursday, April 24, 2008

To John Francis Dolphin


IMG_2422, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

Dear Buckles,

Just a word of thanks and appreciation for your blog with all the circus news and photos that are very interesting and informative.
I am 71 years old and your blog brings back a lot of memories to the days when I was younger and the Greatest Show on Earth was really the Greatest show on Earth.
So I enjoy your comments and reactions to the changes that have come about in the world of the Circus.
My name is Brother J. Francis Dolphin and I belong to the maryknoll community of Fathers and Brothers.
I am teaching here at the Maryknoll Mission Center in Cochabamba, Bolivia.
I am involved in Circus Ministry and I have written some articles for White Tops, Circus Report etc.

Again thanks for all the great work and time as well in preparing your circus blog each day.
My best wishes to Jimmy James if you see him. He is a good friend of mine for many years.

Thanks again

Frank Dolphin


"Here is a picture of myself and granddaughter with Mr. James, taken at the Show Folks Circus last December.
Next time I see Jimmy, I will give him your regards."
Buckles

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me too!
Love ya, Jimmy!
:-)
Cindy Potter

Cochabamba Diary said...

Thanks Buckles for sharing my comments with your readers on the circus etc.
It is deeply appreciated.
Unfortunately there are no circuses in the city of Cochabamba, Bolivia at this moment.
I will keep you in touch when I find one.
Also thanks for giving my regards to Jimmy James Plott when you see him.
I first met him at the Clyde Beatty Circus when it was playing in Westchester County near White Plains, New York back in the late 1950's. He was the head clown at the time and then he eventually became Ringmaster. We have been friends many years.
In fact, I am now reading the book once again "Under the Big Top" by Bruce Feiler
Maryknoll did a story on him for our missionary magazine "Maryknoll" and also a good friend of John Pugh and his wife as well.
I was also a good friend of Harold Ronk the Ringmaster of the "Greatest Show on Earth" when Ringling played Boston Garden in the spring time after Madison Square Garden in May.
In my youth, a great friend of Fr. Ed Sullivan who was then Circus chaplain and now with Fr. Jerry Hogan and Fr. Dave Tetrault.
My dad was a slack wire walker and wanted to travel with my two uncles, Everett Dolphin (Ray Royce)and Chester Dolphin. They were both jugglers. My Mom didn't want my Dad to travel and so he stayed home but was a great circus fan and for that very reason that I also became a circus fan.
Also have done some juggling and clowning as well.
Just sharing some more news about my self.

Anonymous said...

Tell Jimmy I said hello also. AKA. James Plott. We were on the Beatty Show at the same time. Also we went to the same Jr. High School...he was in my homeroom and he was scandalous there also.
Hasta la vista Jimmy. Hope everythings well with you.