Friday, June 01, 2007

Polack Bros. Circus 1966 #2


SAVE2904, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

This is the best act I ever worked, seen at the LA County Fair in Pomona.
We stabled them in a remote area of the fairgrounds so as not to conflict with the afternoon horse races and I here I am bringing them into the race track infield for the night performance.
At left is "Anna May" followed by "Jean", "Millie", "Opal" and "Kae" (former Besalou elephants trained by the master, Mac MacDonald) and with me are "Kenya" and "Stella"
I had just picked up the little African at Louis Goebel's place the previous week and to my surprise she became part of the operation almost immediately.
She went into the act the following season.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

With these pictures we see who is the master 5 large elephants , and 2 baby africans, being walked alone by you. we are not worthy, Hail sir Buckles,

Buckles said...

Very kind words but the fact of the matter is that my father trained "Anna May" and MacDonald all the others.
These elephants would make anyone look good. All my effort was with the two punks and you might notice that all my attention is directed that directed.

Anonymous said...

Also very kind and humble words from you, but you still had to do the job, very rare these days.

Anonymous said...

On one of trips out of the Compound to bootleg meat to Pat Anthony, we caught this show in Pomona. Okie Carr and wife Karen, my wife and I, all were astounded at the show. We talked all the way home about seeing the best elephant act, and the best cat act. Everything about Polack was always superb.

Anonymous said...

Here we are 10 years earlier than when we worked togeather & I can see the Vivasious Spirit in this photo by all - I recall Anna May in 1976 as Very Dexterous , Adjile , Limber , Spunky , Powerfull etc. ( much to my suprise ) & imagine from what you just state she was even more so at this time ( mid 30s ? ). That has to bring forth some Great Memories .