Tuesday, October 03, 2006

From Richard Ilfeld


"I was scanning some old photos for my mom and googled the topic to see if by chance there was anything on the web. I was surprised at what I found.
I would guess that attached might be a picture of "Alice". I'll have to call mom and see if she knows....that's her aboard. The circus was the family business, Paul Lewis (Rosenburg) was uncle Paul to me. There must have been at least one other Lewis brothers elephant because after the show disbanded (1945), the stock retired to a farm near Jackson, Michigan and I have a photo circa 1949 or 1950 of myself on an elephant at the farm. As I recall there was a camel and a llama as well.
Some of the performers from Lewis Brothers Show continued with Jack Mills and the Mills brothers circus, which I believe was out of Jefferson, Ohio. Paul Lewis' brother was the attorney for that show for many years and I believe they were one of the last tent shows to tour. They also had an elephant act, but I don't believe any of them came from Lewis Brothers.
I don't know if there is any family lore on an elephant being killed in a crash, I'd never heard the story before reading it online.
Thought I'd drop you a note because I'm in the Tampa Bay area. My knowledge of the circus is pretty sketchy and I'd love to learn more.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

By all accounts Paul Lewis wife was involved in the circus operation ala Mrs. Charles Sparks and in her memoires,[can't spell it], the great horsewoman Dorothy Herbert writes about being with that show for a short time and of her friendship with Mrs. Lewis. I believe that after the show closed they still booked some animal acts out on fairs,etc.