Saturday, October 01, 2005

Hugo Winter Qtrs./ "Hysterical America"


First thing in the morning before training started, everyone would gather in the office and cut up jackpots. Once my Dad talked about Robbins Bros. and that Fred Buchanan always closed the show with "Historical America". Cast members portraying Washington, Lincoln, etc., the cowboys dressed as Roosevelt's Rough Riders would thunder around the track and for the finale, a tall clown (Uncle Sam) and a lady (The Statue of Liberty) posed in the center ring while everyone else stationed throughout the tent waved American flags, Camel Dutch Narfski would then fire the cannon. On one occasion Dutch's boy overloaded the cannon and they blew the canvas out of the back end of the big top.
After this story had been concluded and everyone was congratulating Dutch, D.R. mentioned that he knew a place that supplied Civil War costumes and weapons. Jimmy Rossi and I usually spent our free time terrorizing the Hugo damozels but on this occasion we decided the reasonable thing to do was to try on the uniforms that had just arrived.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was Jimmy the son of Mary who was married to Obert Miller?

Buckles said...

Yes it is, we remained life long friends. He became a Captain for American Airlines and after retirement he bought a jet plane of his own and appeared in Air Shows doing mock aerial combat.
A couple of years ago I was reading the paper and discovered that he had died in a crash returning from a show in the Caribbean Islands.
Just like that 50 years friendship gone.

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who retired from American Airlines about ten years ago. He was also a pilot. He and his wife bought a Winery in Burges MO. Bias Winery is the name . I have a lot of AA China from before the days when you could not take a pint carton of milk without getting fired. VERY good wine I might add. I think I supported them while they got started. I have found a lot of old friend died over the internet. This is why I try to find old friends before it is too late. You just never know.

GaryHill said...

This picture of you and your friend reminds me of the OLD show "F" Troop! LOL! Gary

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Jimmy...Jimmy and I became good friends during my tour of Air Force duty in Washington, D.C. I think we are talking about the same Jimmy...Because of the flying and love for airplanes. Jimmy use to bring the girl he was dating at the time to our circus parties...Great guy....Often wondered what happen to him...

Buckles said...

Sadly you are right. He was stationed at Ft. Belvoir in those days.
Jimmy's father Joe Rossi was band leader with both the Daily Show and Mills Bros. for some reason all his sons became cowboys, probably because girls like cowboys.
The oldest Mark Anthony Rossi was killed in Burma in WW2, as far as I know Rex still lives in California and the youngest Benny married a Cristiani girl and worked a long time for Disney. Last I heard he had a business of his own.
In our Hugo days we called Jimmy "the Sheik" and his car was the "Sheik-mobile"

Buckles said...

Sadly you are right. He was stationed at Ft. Belvoir in those days.
Jimmy's father Joe Rossi was band leader with both the Daily Show and Mills Bros. for some reason all his sons became cowboys, probably because girls like cowboys.
The oldest Mark Anthony Rossi was killed in Burma in WW2, as far as I know Rex still lives in California and the youngest Benny married a Cristiani girl and worked a long time for Disney. Last I heard he had a business of his own.
In our Hugo days we called Jimmy "the Sheik" and his car was the "Sheik-mobile"

Anonymous said...

I remember Dutch and MS Oklahoma. The funniest thing I ever saw in my life was these two and a clown. I can not explain, you had to have been there. When I see a road runner cartoon I think of them. Dutch cared for the Gerraff(sic) on the show to. Was he a trainer besides a keeper.? I don't think I ever hear a word come out of his mouth.