Thursday, August 11, 2005

John Robinson Circus 1900/ Camel hitch


Shannon managed to tweak this picture for me since it was very badly faded. Until then I wasn't aware of the three seat wagons in the background being unloaded, stringers, star backs and jacks. They appear to be breaking the cardinal rule by "humping that lumber" all the way to the tent whereas it would be quicker and easier if the wagon was spotted inside on the track.
And while I am expostulating, I will further state that I'm glad I don't have to make a U-turn with that camel hitch. You may note that the wheelers are horses.
Buckles

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When reading about the olde time elephants,one frequently reads about their attachments to camels,especially the smaller circu's with one elephant.
In your years of experience,Why did the two species get along together so well?
How have the numbers of camels decreased over the last 50 years?
Since one does not hear about elephants and camels strongly attached anymore.

Buckles said...

Elephants often make both friends and enemies amongst themselves just like people. An elephant alone will often become attatched to a camel, a horse, a pony etc. I once bought an African elephant and when she was delivered, she came with a goat, they were big buddies.
In the old days when elephants and camels walked together from town to town you saw them more closely related. My dad once said that during a season the Haag Show would walk them from Shreveport to the Canadian border and back and they grew incredibly large.