Tuesday, December 29, 2015

#6 Baraboo

My Father's only visit to CWM was just prior to his death in 1963, we pulled around back to the designated area and started to unload the elephants when this blustery gentleman comes up and demands, "Who in Hell do people think you are? You can't come in here and take over like you own the place!" and my father said to me, let's go!"
We were about five miles down the Interstate when this car passes us, horn blaring and motioning for us to pull over. It was John Herriott (still in his performance tuxedo) and Chappie profusely apologizing and explaining who Wilbur Deppe was.
So we returned and my Father got to spend the rest of the afternoon in the Museum Library with Bob Parkinson.
Meanwhile Johnny introduced me to another stellar Baraboo citizen named Dombrosky.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ringling "fixer" John Kelly to the left of Bill. My Dad and I listened to him in the fifties talk about how there would be a museum with the barns on Water St. My Dad said it was probably "literally" a pipe dream but is surely did come to pass. I got back this summer for a visit. Managed to get into the car barn with Scott. That was really a thrill to see it restored after all these years. Good luck to the CWM.

Bob Good

Ole Whitey said...

Dombrosky... Dombrosky... That name rings a bell...

The ironic thing is that Col. probably enjoyed what he was doing as much as you and Johnny did at Dombrosky's.

Dick Flint said...

Did Dombrosky roll his glass eye down the bar?