Tuesday, October 20, 2015

To Patricia


Alfred Court and the presenters of the three Ringling arena acts.
I saw the show at age 13 in 1948 and vividly remember the show opening with three cage acts.
A Tiger Act and a Polar Bear act in each end and Prince Damoo in the center with smaller cats.
The Prince worked bare chested and I recall him dancing around the ring with a leopard draped around his neck.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Would this be Roman Proske, Tigers, - Konselman, Polar Bears (don’t know his first name) and Dhotre Damoo, small cats?
I just read Proske’s book, Lions, Tigers and Me. Very interesting book, but that guy had a lot of bad luck…cats got out…lost his whole act and two of his helpers in the Middle East…and then in St. Joseph, MO he was playing a Shrine date with Polack and one of his tigers killed the elderly owner of the auditorium!

Roger Smith said...

Picture has been captioned elsewhere as, L to R, Fritz Schultz, Damoo Dhotre, Alfred Court, and Joseph Walsh.

4pawfan said...

Photo was taken by Bob Good Sr.

Larry allen Dean said...

I had been in Australia, working the Ashton's Circus cats for about 3 or 4 weeks when I got a visit from Fritz Schultz

Richard Reynolds said...

This was 1942 in Philadelphia. The late Bob Good was the photographer. Fritz Schultz would be arrested at that stand because he was a German enemy alien - -born in Stuttgart. He spent the duration of the war in a internment camp.

Note sea lion den no. 93 in the background

Richard Reynolds said...

Also - -Dhotre did not finish the 1942 season as he was drafted into the Army.